Newbie with question

ray14sher

Have a new lay out outer loop with crossover to inner loop. How can I run two trains independent of each other on the loops? How do you isolate the tracks and do I just use two controls one to power each track? Thanks

If you are new to the hobby and just now buying trains, I would also consider going with DCC. I think it makes running your trains a bit less stressful.
You joined the right group to get your questions answered, great group of people here.

They only need to go on one rail, providing that you use the same rail throughout. Generally that is the [+] side. For a beginner though, why not use them on both rails just for the extra insurance. Rail joiners are inexpensive and there are generally more in a package than you actually need for a small layout.

As Willie says they can go on one rail, but I prefer on both rails. I can then operate a locomotive in one section without the worry of fouling another. That is; I can have two locomotives on the same track; one ether side of the plastic insulating joiners; running one whilst the other is stationary.

I have grandchildren operating some times. One can run trains one side of the insulating joiners, the other runs trains the other side without any challenges.

No experience with power blocks, dual control above looks like a good option and will get the plastic rail joiners.
Thanks
If you're just going to have two controllers with no power blocks, you can just do away with the crossover and have two separate loops, because Bad Things are likely to happen when a train crosses from one loop to the other, even with insulated rail joiners. But if you plan to add power blocks later, you can put in the rail joiners, and eventually you'll need a couple DPDT switches and some wire to create the power blocks. Or, just go DCC and don't worry about wiring blocks.

Back