Newbie Question About Wiring a Layout

UncleJim

I am a newbie and need a little help. I am going to be setting up a simple layout for my nephew this Christmas. It is three-track O27-gauge. I want to wire a simple layout in blocks (classic/traditional method) that will allow me to run and control two trains simultaneously (using two controllers). I have a good book that explains how to wire the track (Wiring Your Toy Train Layout by Peter Riddle). He explains how to wire each block using SPST toggle switches to turn each track block on and off. I found another article on the internet that suggests using Atlas's Selectors to control each block. An Atlas Selector is basically 4 SPDT switches all ganged together. I like the looks of the Atlas Selector but am worried it might be the wrong switch for my layout. I've read that there is a big difference between wiring an AC layout vs. a DC layout. My layout is AC and I'm wondering if the internet article I read is referring to a DC layout because it suggested using the Atlas Selector (SPDT switches). I want to be sure I buy the right electrical components for my layout so maybe I should forget about the Atlas Selector and use individual SPST switches like my book explains. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. One more thought... Atlas also makes an Atlas Connector (basically 3 SPST switches all ganged together). Has anybody used this switch and could I use it instead of individual SPST switches in my layout? Thanks.

UncleJim;

My knowledge of 0-27 is limited, so take this with a grain of salt. Since you have a good reference book there that deals specifically with 0-27/3 rail. I would use its recommendations. I don't know what the amperage rating on the Atlas switches are so I'm personally wouldn't feel comfortable using them for anything else than 12 Volt DC. I do know that if there is a failure in one the ganged switches whether it's used in Z, N, HO, or O, that the entire switch has to be replaced, not just the failed part.

Back