Newbie question about layout terminology

Thomas1

Can someone help this newbie understand the terminology used for a "wall" or "shelf" layout? I'd like to look at layouts where the track circles the room, perhaps with a staging area. I can't seem to find consolidated results when searching under these terms. I'm guessing I'm missing the mrk and using the wrong terms.

Please advise.
Thanks!

Thomas - Shelf layout is the more commonly used term, but normally applies to a short switching type layout. A better phrase is "around the walls" layout to describe what I think that you are looking for.

Willie

Can someone help this newbie understand the terminology used for a "wall" or "shelf" layout? I'd like to look at layouts where the track circles the room, perhaps with a staging area. I can't seem to find consolidated results when searching under these terms. I'm guessing I'm missing the mrk and using the wrong terms.

Please advise.
Thanks!

Willie beat me. I was going to suggest you have a look at Ken's D & J Railroad, but after looking myself I see the Photobucket ransom thief, has been and stolen his photos.

To add. You're in the right forum to find those layouts, but their titles may not come up expressed as such. Try what Willie said, that should be in there somewhere.

Willie probably hit the nail on the head. Many people don't have a lot of room for a layout and build a smaller "shelf" layout for a switching layout. An around the wall layout is basically an expanded shelf layout. This is an old photo of my layout which is what you could call an around the wall layout.

attachment.php

The yard with the round house on the left are on a peninsular while the rest of the layout is all around the walls. The depth of the layout varies from around 24" to over 40" on this part of the layout.

attachment.php

Hope this helps. We were all "newbies" at one time so please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Then there are free-standing layouts, essentially a table-top on stilts so that a person can walk around it. Many make them too large and can't reach into the middle to correct problems. That problem also pertains to a few shelf layouts whose owners are a bit ambitious, but also to around-the walls layouts, particularly in deep corners.

My preference, not that it matters a whit, is for around-the room layouts because they free up a lot of space and allow one to walk around admiring one's creation looking in all directions. You become surrounded by a fictitious world and can become immersed in it.

Willie beat me. I was going to suggest you have a look at Ken's D & J Railroad, but after looking myself I see the Photobucket ransom thief, has been and stolen his photos.

I'll post a video of my layout after I get home later this afternoon.

how does that happen? I loved going back through Ken's thread and looking at the amazing work he has done.

how does that happen? I loved going back through Ken's thread and looking at the amazing work he has done.

Recently Photobucket announced that 3rd party sharing for free and some other accounts would no longer have that priviledge, i.e. store photos and beable to link them to sites like this and others, e.g. Ebay sales, until their "owners" paid an annual fee of US$399 for that ability. Since then they have been systematically breaking the links between those P/B accounts and sites like this. Suddenly and arbitrarily. They obviously want to clear what they seem to now see as freeloaders.

Please advise.
You might also try "around the room" layout.

Back