Newbie Coupling Problems

RickVS

Hi everyone. I thought it would be fun to buy a small Bachmann N scale train set and set it up in my office. I keep having some issues however that are frustrating, one of which is my cars and engines decouple for no reason. I bought a bunch of knuckle coupler cars on eBay, and added a second identical loco from Bachmann. Most of the time things work fine, however periodically cars uncouple for no reason. I turn the car around and sometimes this fixes it. Sometimes I put the car in a different order in my train. Sometimes this fixes it. I have one loco going backwards coupled to the second loco in front. This worked fine for the first few weeks, then the locos started uncoupling. I have about 16 cars in my train going around an elevated figure eight E-Z track. So I turned the second loco around and it seems to be working. I even have cars that were together in the original train set uncouple. It just seems to me that this technology is not up to snuff and is highly temperamental and finicky. Am I doing something wrong here? I can't imagine having these problems on a large scale layout. Thanks.

temperamental and finicky.
It is! I do HO, no experience with N, so I can't say if these problems are more susceptible because it is in N. But, start with the basics....
The first thing I would check would be the coupler height.
And this would be an excellent one to start with. Along with height, are they free moving? Are they body mounted, truck mounted? Binding issues?
Track, no humps, dips, kinks, gage issues? Doe's the uncoupling happen at the same place in the track? Always the same car or coupler?
Part of the trick of trouble shooting is to get the issue isolated...ie track....couplers....wheels...something else.....

Are they body mounted, truck mounted?
Yes, having a body mounted coupler connected to a truck mounted coupler can cause issues on the curves, especially a reverse curve like through a crossover. Body mounted couplers are more susceptible to bumps in the track because there is more vertical motion on the end of the car then at the bolster.

Second, all knuckle couplers are not created equal. I believe you will find the Micro-Trains ones work better than the McHenrys found on Bachmann equipment. Probably too expensive to replace them all though. So as the others have said, examine each one to be certain it is the right height, swings, easily, and the knuckle is staying closed.

Even though the old Rapido type couplers looked goofy, they sure did work well.

Hi everyone. I thought it would be fun to buy a small Bachmann N scale train set and set it up in my office. I keep having some issues however that are frustrating, one of which is my cars and engines decouple for no reason. I bought a bunch of knuckle coupler cars on eBay, and added a second identical loco from Bachmann. Most of the time things work fine, however periodically cars uncouple for no reason. I turn the car around and sometimes this fixes it. Sometimes I put the car in a different order in my train. Sometimes this fixes it. I have one loco going backwards coupled to the second loco in front. This worked fine for the first few weeks, then the locos started uncoupling. I have about 16 cars in my train going around an elevated figure eight E-Z track. So I turned the second loco around and it seems to be working. I even have cars that were together in the original train set uncouple. It just seems to me that this technology is not up to snuff and is highly temperamental and finicky. Am I doing something wrong here? I can't imagine having these problems on a large scale layout. Thanks.

Couplers do require maintenance , 75 % of the time its coupler height that causes issues. Assuming you've checked this , you need to look for other possible causes like excessive vertical play, warpage , damaged springs , track work , ect.

In N scale couplers are plastic , so warpage could be a problem . Also any problem gets magnified X2 compared to HO and in HO the couplers (KDs) are metal so coupler warpage isn't so much an issue .

The other problem is coupler bounce . If the couplers are bouncing horizontally , they can uncouple . This is usually caused by a couple of issues :

1. dirty track or dirty locomotive wheels , the lead loco hesitates slightly allowing the train to catch up , pushing the knuckles open , if the couplers are not in perfect working order , the knuckle can stick open just long enough to decouple , This is especially true with locomotives , sometimes its easier to use dummy couplers or draw bars between the locomotives. Just cleaning the track or loco wheels may solve your problem .

2. After the cars have "run in" , the cars become more free rolling and on down grades they can catch up , and push the knuckles open . Cabooses are some what notorious for this and at times seem to have a mind of their own .

If knuckles are sticking , then it may be neccessary to lubricate them , don't use oil, As I remember dry lubricant(Labelle 134) is what you should use , but check with Micro Trains first. If the uncoupling bar is corroded then you probably just need to replace.

GeeTee: Nice to know about N-scale couplers. I bought the grandson a few at the last train show. Explains why all run good except 1 coupler. I'll be checking that when I have time.

Thanks everyone. I got rid of the elevated pier system and went to an oval flat track which eliminated 98% of my problems. I do have other issues that I'll start a new post with.

Back