Newbie - Bachmann Turnout Trouble

dstern350

I am a new railroader. I am starting simple with Bachmann EZ Track and a few DCC locomotives. I have a bunch of turnouts, wires, and switches. I selected a few and tried to wire them in and none of the turnouts are moving. I put a multimeter on the power supply and the switches and all seem to be passing power. Is it possible that ALL of my turnouts are dead?

Welcome to the forums! Do you have the EZ track with the gray or black roadbed? In my experience trains run better on the gray roadbed track, as the rails are nickel silver, not steel. I've found most steel track to have issues in terms of being good conductors, if you don't run your trains 24/7.

I'm not completely familiar with EZTrack switches, however they should have some sort of a controller you plug the switch machine wires(three conductors) into. Are you trying to control the switches via DCC? If so, these next steps don't apply. These if these control boxes, can be attached together in a line, if they are like other systems. You then need to attach the two conductor wire to the AC/Accessory terminals of the power pack. To change the position of the switch, turn on the power pack, and slide the switch on the switch controller to the other position, for the switch you want to throw. If this doesn't make sense I recommend you do a search online for 'EZ Track switch wiring,' or such. If any of the wires are cut, the switch won't throw properly.

Motorized/remote EZ-Track turnouts must have a switch to operate them with pigtails. You need the switch with momentary contact and you need a power supply, I think the AC terminals from your power pack should provide that.

Hopefully you'll get a definitive answer from someone using those turnouts.

Final update - I sent my turnouts back to Bachman. 3 Months later they 6 new turnouts were sent me to, new in the box.

Bachmann turn outs have 3 wires. if you plan on cutting the wires to add extension wire to make them longer? you must make sure to wire them right. If you get 1 wrong it wont work. I made that mistake. Now i cut one at a time to make sure i get them right.

Bachmann makes 10' Green Switch Extension Wire

dJSOgeT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back