Newbie - automatic drawbride

Inequation

I purchased a Lionel Drawbridge recently.
IN order to raise/lower it, there is a 3-position (seemingly) switch.

I was wondering if there was a way to do this electronically rather than physically- use an electronic switch (like a programmable controller or something of the sort). Any ideas as to what I should do?

Is this the bridge you have? There are several different types of Lionel drawbridges.

6-14173_1559.jpg

I was watching a segment of "I Love Toy Trains" on RFD tv this week, and they showed a Lionel HO version of this bridge they said had been made for Lionel by Bachmann. I would sure love to find one of those for my layout. It lookie just like this one except for the third rail.

Actually, Lionel never made a drawbridge in HO. One was offered by Bachmann in the mid-70's that's almost a direct, scaled down copy of the #2317 O-27 drawbridge. I don't know if it was licensed or just a rip-off copy.

hobridge.jpg

Is this the bridge you have? There are several different types of Lionel drawbridges.

Yes, that is the same type of Lionel drawbridge I have.

This is what I have discovered so far:

The bridge has a relay on it, and the switch is connected to the bridge using five wires. The wires are labeled R, W, BK, BL, and G. (I assume they stand for colors, but I don't know what the colors mean, or if they even mean colors for sure).

To raise the bridge, the wires R and BK are connected and the wires W and G are also connected.

To lower the bridge, R and BL are connected and W and BK are connected.

I know this works because I cut the wires leading to the switch and figured this out using trial and error. (I twisted the certain wires together). I exhausted all possibilities, so I know these are the only ways that the bridge will raise and lower.

When the wires are connected physically, the bridge will raise and lower, but I cannot get the PLC to replicate this. I've set it up so that I have all 5 wires as inputs and all 5 wires as outputs. When an internal switch is hit, the appropriate inputs get mapped to the appropriate outputs. When the bridge is completely down or completely up, the PLC only recognizes the G wire as having juice, though (none of the others), which I find strange. Otherwise, the PLC does not recognize any of the wires as having juice.

The PLC uses a DC current, so that is not the issue.

EDIT: Also, in case it is relevant, I am using an automationDirect DL06 PLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
After trying to slog my way through the user's manual, it's clear to me that the functions of the automationDirect DL06 PLC are way beyond me to understand. Is there some reason you are using such a complicated device when it seems like a simple DPDT switch should do what you want.

Back