Newbe with some questrions

jetsmell

I would like to build a layout in my garage. Is there a free app I can use to plan my layout on my desktop?
I would like to use the HO scale, can I get the two rail with that?
What kind of plywood should I use for the table top?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the group Jet.

There are several free layout planning software.

A few off the top of my head are:

anyrail
Xtrackcad
scaram

I think there is one that lets you use 50 pieces of track for free. If you go ovewr that you will need to purchase the full version. It might be anyrail.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the popular ones. I'm an Xtrackcad user myself.

I would like to build a layout in my garage. Is there a free app I can use to plan my layout on my desktop?
There is also Atlas Right Track Software. Originally it was a purchase product, then they made it free, then they went back to purchase. Here is version #10, however as the comments say it is not as good as version 8 was. Version 8 has to be out there somewhere if you look long enough.
https://the-right-track-r-software.software.informer.com/10.0/
I would like to use the HO scale, can I get the two rail with that?
Yes. The only 3-rail HO that I know of is Marklin, so avoid that brand.
What kind of plywood should I use for the table top?
Well, that depends on a lot of things like the bench work (table) that you put under it. Sounds like you are planning on putting down a flat surface, so generally the more framework the less thick. I think usually 3/8"-1/2" is used.

I use 3/4" but I don't put it down in full sheets. Full sheets of 3/4" would be overkill and way heavy. I cut it in to strips that just go under the track. Then I use foam to fill in the rest of the space as below. It is called open grid construction. Over all it is much lighter than the full plywood flat top.
roadbed.jpg

Last edited:
Jet,
I used SCARM to plan my first layout (also in the garage). It's free although there's a paid version with additional features. The free version worked just fine for my needs. Much, much more efficient to design, redesign, and redesign virtually before you buy any track etc. I went through quite a few iterations before I started buying track.

Hi I use PowerPoint. I made some templates, and use the free-hand drawing to fit up the track. Make a grid on a page, and scale it, and the rest falls into place. I have combined Atlas layouts (like in 6 HO Railroads You Can Build) with my templates. I try to use as much flex track as possible- easier than all of the sections. Also, you get more reliable power feed in the long run. I solder a lot of connections, also. We built the Granite Gorge and Northern Layout (John Armstrong's design) three times using the cut plywood method. My son put me onto the layered foam approach. I watched a lot of Steve's videos, and Jimmie's videos, and I changed to foam. Soooo much easier!! Example:

1713125966211.png

In the core is a modified version of the GGN Atlas J. Armstrong layout, with changes, and an external running loop with hidden storage tracks in "mountains". I lit the interiors with LED strips. Now building cameras and 4 inch flat panel displays so I can see in the mountains to hide or release trains from the sidings. I can run 6 trains simultaneously, with a bit of concentration...
Forgot to mention- you just reproduce the grid on the foam on thin plywood, and you can transfer the layout centerlines in a short time.

Last edited:

Back