New Train layout 6-1-23

Larry Creel

Gulf-Atlantic-Pacific
I am now getting everything ready to start laying Track. Not anymore Building Updates on the other Thread. I spent yesterday & today painting two coats of White latex paint on all the Tables. Then I started opening up all the Boxes of Track. I have NS Bachmann EZ Track for main Lines, Brass sectional & Flex for Yards & EZ Track for most sidings. I also have over 75 Brass Turnouts that will all be operated by Ground Throws. All the EZ Track Turnouts will be operated electrically. I also have 33&1/4 Radius EZ Track & a 35&1/4 EZ track Radius for the 2 mainlines. I have enough of this track to make 3 mainlines if I had the space. I really have enough Track for a much larger layout which I had in Florida than I have here. Always check your cardboard mailing tube for a secure bottom before lifting it up. LOl

Attachments

• DSCN3609.JPG
    DSCN3609.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3607.JPG
    DSCN3607.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3608.JPG
    DSCN3608.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3606.JPG
    DSCN3606.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 97
To give you an Idea how much EZ Track I have here is 4 pictures. Took me all day to seperate stuff. The 1 box that has a lid on it has 180 pieces+ of NS 18" radius in packs of 10. Some day I'll probably sell all of those. Another Box is full of steel EZ Track that I don't use. I have a mess of Brass sectional & Brass Flex I will use on the giant Yard area much later. I've been trying to find 2" Pink or Green Foam insulation here in Ga. w/out any hits. I need 2ea. 4 by 8ft sheets to start the large mountain that I make cut out sections & cover it w/Quilt Batting. Lots of things to do. If I don't find the Foam I'll make the mountain out of wood. I will be having a single 2 track Tunnel I hope.

Attachments

• DSCN3610.JPG
    DSCN3610.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN3611.JPG
    DSCN3611.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN3613.JPG
    DSCN3613.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3614.JPG
    DSCN3614.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 96
I was going to build a lift up for the opening in the tables in front of the door, but decided against that & made a 3ft by 3ft drop down leaf. It worked out real good. 6-7-23 I used a 36" long SS Piano Hinge. Used 3 ply plywood which is kind of weak for a 3ft opening. I didn't have a 3ft piece, but did have 2 18" wide pieces & spliced them together. I used Eye Bolts to hold it up & they are 3/8th's thread. I drilled the holes a hair bit smaller than the 3/8ths in the table & I just screw them in about 1/2" to hold up the Leaf. Before when I have used just a tight fitting hinge I always had play in the door, so this time I used a Piano Hinge which has zero movement & the track will stayed lined up this time.

Attachments

• DSCN3622.JPG
    DSCN3622.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3623.JPG
    DSCN3623.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3624.JPG
    DSCN3624.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3625.JPG
    DSCN3625.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 82
I also bought a 9" Bandsaw yesterday at Harbor Freight & got it bolted down in my Shed Shop. With the Drill Press & 6" Bench Grinder I'm all set to go. Also added the table top drop down when it's closed & even w/the rest of the tables. 6-7-23.

Attachments

• DSCN3618.JPG
    DSCN3618.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3626.JPG
    DSCN3626.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 65
I finally found some 1" Pink insulation foam at Home Depot yesterday that I'll have to get to make mountains. I wanted 2", but no one in Ga. uses it like Florida did & they want to much to ship it to me, so, before the end of the week I'll have to go buy some & get it cut in half or break it in half to fit in my 2011 Nissan Cube. The 1" is $31.85 per 4 by 8ft sheet. Then I'll go to Walmart & get some Quilt Batting for the cover. Down in Florida I never had to buy the 2" stuff because all the large Govt. buildings used it on the outside of their buildings & I always got their Scrap for free. I figure 3 or 4 sheets will be enough.

Started figuring out a Brain Storming Track Plan this week. I've only changed the Outside mainline once so far. The Inside mainline is looking good so far. Outside is for Passenger service & inside for everything else. All the Lego's buildings I have to widen, lengthen & change some of the base plates to make everything work. Buildings will come much later. I still have to make room for a long passenger siding & a bunch of Coal car sidings. 36 passenger cars & 65 Coal cars. I always like long sidings so I can keep the mainlines running. I also have to come up w/a few long sidings for Tank cars(45)to fit into the refinery area. Going to build 2 long Mountains on each end of the layout. One for the Coal Mine & the other for Homes & a long double tunnel.

Attachments

• DSCN3640.JPG
    DSCN3640.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN3641.JPG
    DSCN3641.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3645.JPG
    DSCN3645.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN3643.JPG
    DSCN3643.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 97
I always think this is my favourite part the excitement of planning then checking the track,ensure the long or short point work out.
I did have to go back and widen the track space as scenic components often take way more space percentage wise than the real counterparts.

You clearly have invested time in thinking out how to move forward, which should make life so much easier.
Look forward to seeing it unfold.

Larry, an exciting time for you, congrats. R u doing DCC or DC. Any thoughts on feeders yet? Have fun
I only do DC, always have. I will be running 14 ga. insulated stranded copper Buss wires & 20 ga. insulated solid for Drops. I usually do drops every 3 or 4 ft. All the Blocks will be on a 20 ga. wire w/a heavy duty toggle switch. I lucked on on Ebay about 3 yrs ago & bought 100 Chinese Toggles for $25.00 on a late night bid. then I bought another 50 for $10.00 about 3 months later. I use them for 120 volt, 12 volt & other voltages. I've done a lot to the layout since the last pictures. I'll post a lot of pictures sometimes tomorrow. Right now I'm working on a Yard for Freight storage. I'm using Brass & NS flex, sectional & most turnouts are #4 or #6 Brass.

Lookin' good Larry!
I’m just thinking if the outer line is for passenger service you could take the right and left turnouts on that inner siding and change their places, your longer cars would operate and look much better plus you’d gain a little more track.
Any thoughts?
I have 2 Bachmann EZ Track Crossovers that I've always wanted to use & maybe I will add those in later. The Passenger tracks will be run w/an MRC 9000 transformer & the freight tracks will be run w/an MRC Walkaround CM20. I have 12 Telephone jacks for that & I always install them around the layout for easy access. On my last layout I had 18 telephone jacks.

Started 2 days ago installing the Brass & NS Tracks & all Brass Turnouts that will be operated by Ground Throws. Finished this morning. Still have to wire it all up for Blocks, etc. 6-16-23

Attachments

• DSCN3661.JPG
    DSCN3661.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3660.JPG
    DSCN3660.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3662.JPG
    DSCN3662.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3663.JPG
    DSCN3663.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 88
Engine shed made out of Lego's & I've still got to add another section to the left of this one. 6-16-23 To be able to add another section I have to take apart 1 of my big buildings to have enough Leo's to build an add on Shed. I might just use one of the 2 bay sheds I had on my other layout in Florida.

Attachments

• DSCN3651.JPG
    DSCN3651.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 77
I'm going to make all the mountains out of 1" Pink Foam insulation covered w/quilt batting. Went to home Depot this morning to get some, but they were out. They said they would call me when it came in. I'm still trying to get their damaged Ceiling Tiles for other projects, but other people are getting them too.

Back