New to weathering

NickB

Wannabe Engineer
Hey everyone, I've been reading and watching everyone weather and want to try it. First thing I want to do is I have a Walthers turntable when should I weather it before constructing or after constructing it?? Thanks
Nick

Both.

The first thing to do is look at real turntables or good pictures of turn tables.

The gross level weathering occurs as you paint the TT prior to assembly. That's getting the base colors right, adding highlights to bricks, blocks, rocks, wood, etc.

Then when it's done assembled and working put on the finishing touches as you see how it fits in with the layout. Some places will need different treatments than others based upon their proximity to other things on the layout.

Ok, that's helpful thanks Chip. Where and what should I get for weathering? I've looked at the local Hobby Lobby but didn't find any dulcoat for weathering.

Bar Mills makes a great powder set for weathering..About $8...comes in a 4 pack and works great,,Black, redish and brownish rust of 2 shades....And dulcoat can be bought at even Wal-mart in the model isle...Here's a site for Bar Mills
http://www.blwnscale.com/Bar Mills Structure Kits.htm

Some use pastels caulk sticks..and many ordinary items you'd never think of...Indian Ink is another useful item.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing I like to point out is that weathering is 90% observation and 10% technique. There are lots of ways to get to the results. Do a little reading and see what people do. I use a lot of acrylic paint and mixing of colors to achieve results. But that is not the only way to skin the puppy. You can use the powders, you can use pastels, you can use India ink, you can use an air brush you, can invent your own ways.

The key is seeing what is there, deciding what is significant enough to model, then formulating a plan to achieve the results.

Back