New to DCC

Hey guys long time sinse my last post, So heres my plan for the layout, I took up all my O gauge stuff and packed it up for the time being "couldnt afford it" and im gonna be going HO with DCC Protosounds, the full 9 yards but seeing as DCC is a bit more complex the DCS or TMCC I'm completley left in the dark at what to do.

What system is the easiest but offeres alot of function.
How do i program trains with DCC equiped inot my system
How do i need to hook up DCC inot my track

Basically i need a complete overhaul, if anyone has videos that would be best to help me out.

Thank guys.

and keep them trains a rollin

welcome back! I'm just getting ready to do my first complete layout in N gauge, have done alot of research on DCC so I think I can answer your basic questions.

What system is the easiest but offeres alot of function.

You'll get alot of opinions on this and there's alot to consider. I have decided on the NCE Power Cab starter set, as is it has enough power to run 4 N gauge engines, down the road if I want to run more I'd need to purchase a power booster. Best you can do is review what's out there and decide what features are a must have, here's a good comparison.
http://www.tonystrains.com/productcompare/dcccomparison.htm

How do i program trains with DCC equiped inot my system

Programming is done with the DCC controller, either on a seperate "programming track" or right on the main layout. With the proper setup you can also program them using your computer.

How do i need to hook up DCC inot my track

It get's connected basically the same way as a standard DC controller, although it's highly recommended to wire to multiple points on your layout to help maintain a good signal between your controller and the decoder in the engine. I'm going to be using Kato Unitrack and plan on having a connection every other joint.

Davejb,

I checked out the link that you posted: http://www.tonystrains.com/productco...comparison.htm

and the flaw is that it was updated in 2005. A lot has changed. Check out this link. I have a lot a of questions answered from Bruce and Jerry

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/SetCompare.htm

Now I started back in this hobby in 2005 after almost 25 years after I pack my trains away. I went to DCC and I bought a Digitrax Zephyr and a radio throttle.

I like the Digitrax but got frustrated because it does so much I got confused. Digitrax is to me an advanced user system. If you are into programming a lot it is a great system. I told Bruce I wanted a lot of features and simpler operation. We decided the NCE is for me. I just ordered the NCE Power PRo Radio system. I will be getting it in a few days and I will be glad to tell you what I think.

Just check out all the systems and if you can , test run them at a Hobby shop , some layout, or wherever you can. These systems are not cheap but they will make it fun. Also look for a system that will expand and grow easy as you decide to get more involved in programming.

With all that said , I have all my digitrax on e-bay ( Except for the Zephyr , that will be next week) With a quality system I have had for 5 years it is selling good and I think I will get at least 3/4 of what I spent back. Buy a good system and if you decide to sell it you won't lose much.

Hope this will help a bit. Good Luck

Not that much has changed, all of the models at the link I posted are the same ones that are compared at the link you posted, but I like yours better, much better comparison of features that's easier to read.

One thing that has changed and is important are the "F" functions. A lot of the Systems more than 13 Functions. Try to get one that will handle F-0 to F-28 . Decoders are doing a lot more and are coming with more Functions.

Good Luck. Eric

Find out which system the majority of the guys in your area use. While it is good to check other systems out, going with what most folks is using provides you with a large base of users in your area for help, not only on the system install, but troubleshooting, and programming help.

Back