New to DCC, can I do this?

dekker

From what I think I understand I can run several trains at one time without having the block and toggle switch setup. Here is what I would like to know. Lets say I have a train running on my main and one in my yard putting trains together can I set my train that I have running on my main to a set speed and let it go and then switch over to my yard and move things around without have to have a block system? My layout will run 2 to 3 trains max. Thanks

Although...the tricky part is that when you switch back to the mainline train, it will pick up the speed setting of the switcher so you have to be ready to crank up the throttle for the mailine train. This only applies if you have one throttle. If you have two throttles, one for the yard and one for the main, the two operations are truly independent from one another.

Jim, what kind of system are you using? My Advance doesnt do that, just wondering. I do have 2 throttles, but only use 1 90% of the time. And theoretically, it shouldn't happen like that. EDIT: nevermind, I understand what your saying now, as he has to pick up the pace of his movement to avoid tying up the main.
I have chased 1 train with another and actually passed it on a siding, now that was fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the stupendous DT400 throttle from Digitrax, you can control two engines in real time because it has two throttle encoders on the one paddle. As soon as you twist or click one encoder, it is engaged and accepts inputs. So, you can twiddle one, then the other, raising speed on one, then the other, faster than you can read this.

I have made good friends with my emergency stop button, too. I use it whenever I might be about to have an oops from mismatched trains out on the main.

Thanks

I am starting to get the DCC concept, I just need a little help. I have been checking here and there and I think that I am going to go with an MRC system. I like what I have read,the price is good and it will do way more than what I need.Digitrax is nice as well but from the guys I talk to from my local club they seem to be not too crazy about the Digi. system and they use the wireless Digi. system on the club layout. It is a BIG layout. The way my layout is set up I do not see anyway for me to expand as far as the size of the layout. I have used all the space I can. 20' L 7' W with an open center. So a system that has lots of upgrades(as far as more locos) is not I will really need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Digitrax, MRC and NCE on club and basement layouts and all have their quirks, but all are excellent. Any club will bitch. But the thing here is do you want to join their club? If so, go with what they have and save a bundle by not duplicating throttles.

Of the three I mentioned, all seem to even out in cost as you expand.

BTW: I have a Zephyr and love it.

P.S. - I have the Zephyr, DT400IR and the UR90. :)

my club uses the Digitrax system as well so that really helps out!

You won't be sorry for going DCC you actually get to run your trains! I use Lenz and wouldn't trade it at all. Have had MRC and used Digi. MRC has dumped at least 2 systems that I know of and would be afraid they will dump this one also. And couldn't get the hang of the Digitrax system, but then I am use to the Lenz and the Commander from Atlas before that. Remember the golden rules of DCC buy bigger that you think you will need, cause it's cheaper to get it now than later, and by the way are you thinking sound? It adds a whole different twist to the mix.
What you will find it what ever system you get you will understand the quirks with it before to long, and the advise about the club in the area is really good, if you plan to join you should think about using the same system, it makes for less confusion in the end.
that's my 2cents worth

Back