New O modeler w/ legacy

AVNMechanic

Well, I suppose since I've started buying things for my first layout, I should introduce myself and quit lurking. So, hi, I'm Scott and I'm 27(birthday was yesterday(March 21)). I'm currently in Afghanistan working for L-3 Vertex Aerospace as a helicopter mechanic.

I'm planning on building an O gauge/scale layout with modern trains and landscapes being the theme. So far I've bought one MTH 30-73315 CSX Modern Tank Car, one MTH 30-76359 CSX Flat car w/ trailer, and preordered one MTH 30-76430 CSX Husky Stack Car.

My wife's Christmas 2010 gift to me is a preordered Lionel 6-28357 CSX SD60 #8707. It should be coming out July '11 according to Lionel's catalog. Also, for our anniversary she ordered me a Legacy Command Controller.

My dad has some N gauge trains (I don't know the brand) and a 4'x6' layout in his shop. I grew up playing with it (breaking some of it, oops). But I think the real reason I'm getting into it now is because a couple of month ago my grandfather passed away. My "papa" was a conductor for CSX for something like 25 to 30 years. One of my fondest memories of him is when he and my father took me out to the CSX train yard near downtown Greenville, SC. They helped me climb into what I think was a SD60, very similar to my wife's Christmas gift to me. I remember he took us up the track a way and back and I got to blow the horn. Ahhhh, good times. So this first consist is dedicated to his memory.

I'm not in a hurry to receive everything considering I'm in Afghanistan for the time being. I'll continue to buy CSX rolling stock till I come home for good sometime next year. Also, I'll probably do more lurking than posting for now.

Welcome to the forum!..Thanks for the fine job your doing over there and looking forward to seeing your layout unfold someday soon. Thanks for sharing your story, you have a great reason for railroad addiction! We'd like to hear from you now and then, keeping us posted on ur growing collection.

Back