New Member from Central Alabama

Dr. John

Greetings from Prattville, AL. I'm new to this forum but have been in model railroading on and off since the 1960's. I started with a Marx clockwork set for Christmas of 1963. Graduated to a Marx/Allstate set in 1967 before getting into HO in 1970. I was a member of the Mobile (AL) Society of Model Engineers in the late 70's. Marriage, career and children put model railroading on the back burner, but I continued to subscribe to Model Railroader and RMC as I collected an assortment of equipment. I have dabbled in N scale and S scale, before rekindling an interest in HO. I also have a few On30 items and a fair collection of vintage Marx and Lionel equipment. I'm working on a small shelf layout featuring two fictional lines: The Alabama Overland RR and the short-line Autauga Creek & Western. The setting varies from the mid 1960's to the late 1970's, depending on my mood and what I want to run - usually a combination of 1st and 2nd generation diesels for the AO and small switchers on the AC&W.

My wife and I live in Prattville, Alabama, with our three dogs. We have three grown children and two grandchildren. I serve as the associate pastor of First Baptist Church. I guess I got the railroading bug from my grandfathers - one was an engineer with the Pennsy and then the Illinois Central. The other was in the timber business and sold railroad ties to the Columbus & Greenville RR and the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley RY. Two uncles worked for the IC and another uncle was a conductor for the C&G.

Guess that's more than you want to know. :)

Dr. John
President, Chief Engineer & Head Muckety-muck for the
Alabama Overland / Autauga Creek & Western

Welcome Dr John! I think you'll come to find that there's some mighty nice folk around here. Pull up a chair and stay awhile :)

Welcome to the Forums, Dr John. This is one of the best and friendliest sites on the internet. Lots of good folks here to help with problems or offer suggestions. Don't be a stranger!

Welcome, Dr John!

There's a number of fine modelers down your way who are also members of this forum. I visit them myself whenever my family goes to B-ham to visit relatives there.

Back