New Life for a 33 Year Old Layout

armyairforce

This little layout was built by my dad and myself around 1980, and it was our first venture into N scale. The layout was named 'Little Carlton', for its small size and part of the street name where we lived.

Partly through inexperience, and partly through impatience and perhaps laziness, there were several areas that could have been much better! The original design was a small exhibition layout, but it was also planned that the layout would have a perspex cover to allow it to become a coffee table. However, we were too busy enjoying running trains, so the cover never got built.

Bringing the story a bit closer to the present, a few years ago, my dad started a new layout. This layout, rather than becoming homeless, found shelter with a friend of my dad's. Recently, its age began to catch up with it, particularly regarding the foam ballast/track bed, which has badly perished from ultra-violet light. The paint and ground scatter had faded badly, and a number of details had become damaged over the years.

Dad asked whether I could bring it back to its former glory, and I suggested if I was doing that, there were a few areas that could be freshened up and better detailed too.

This is its story.

lc1.jpg

particularly regarding the foam ballast/track bed, which has badly perished from ultra-violet light. The paint and ground scatter had faded badly, and a number of details had become damaged over the years.

Dad asked whether I could bring it back to its former glory, and I suggested if I was doing that, there were a few areas that could be freshened up and better detailed too.

Do you already know how you are doing this, or do you want some input?

Looks like a great project!

logandsawman

I'm under orders to keep as much of the original design and character, but to freshen it up, improve the areas of poor construction and add additional detailing.

Well ther's an excellent opportunity on the left (of the pic) to add onto without affecting the originals integrity, and going by your signature I detect a certain rebelliousness to taking orders.

It may well become the coffee table it was originally planned to be, so there won't be any extensions to the current size. I can't fill someones living room with a monster empire!

Here's a few close up views around the layout showing some of the areas that are going to be reworked. The main reason for the refurbishment was the track bed. As you can see below, the foam/sponge track bed has severely perished, with the result that the track is now uneven, causing derailments, particularly at rail joints. The second picture is from the World War 2 layout I'm working on, and shows how the trackbed should look once reworked.

lc2.jpg

cstation187.jpg

The roads on the layout are all card, and there are some ugly joints here and there, so these are going to be resurfaced in styrene and will probably have road markings reverse masked before spraying the tarmac colour and texture speckling. You can also see how faded and bare the landscape has become over the years.

lc3.jpg

lc4.jpg

The station is also going to receive some much needed TLC. The platforms, like the road, were card, and these will be replaced with styrene. The over scale grain of wheat lamps will be replaced with LED versions, and additional platform details and accessories will be added. The platform rear wall will most likely be replaced, as the printed card version is badly glue stained, and new posters applied.

lc5.jpg

lc6.jpg

The cattle pens and goods platform are slightly damaged and need repairs. For some reason, this siding isn't ballasted. Perhaps it was replaced at some point or maybe we ran out of foam ballast! It's too long ago to remember, and I was only 10 years old at the time.

lc7.jpg

The signal box structure is ok, but the painting leaves much to be desired. That will receive a repaint.

lc8.jpg

The hillside has faded extremely, and all the trees were pinched for another layout, so this needs colour and vegetation re-applying.

lc9.jpg

Much of the track side was painted directly onto the plaster without any surface texture ( see below ), so I'm planning on re-working these areas like on the Wartime layout ( bottom picture ).

lc10.jpg

quay_yard223.jpg

We-e-e-ll I tried, but it looks like you're gonna be plenty occupied just with what you've got. A definite labour of love.

I'm just doing a bit of experimenting with double sided tape as a track fixing/insulating medium.

Oh yes, there's plenty do to on this without even considering expansion. There's also the World War 2 customers layout, that's the one with all the bells and whistles!

Further repairs at the station building include both chimneys, which have been knocked, so they both need repairing.

lc11.jpg

The last area that needs looking at are the two bungalows, both that need tidying and repainting. I don't know why the sprue joins on the roof were never trimmed off.

lc12.jpg

lc13.jpg

Here we go, a start has been made. This is the smaller of the two bungalows, which is part repainted in this picture. It needed a minor repair to part of the roof and gluing back to its base before the painting started.

lc14.jpg

The other bungalow didn't need any repairs, but I have cut out the horrible blue painted pond. This has now had a sheet of clear styrene added below the base, and the layout will be slightly hollowed out to create a more realistic pond.

lc15.jpg

The original signal box was removed, as was its wonky roof. This was replaced with new styrene, along with a new ridge and fascias. The signal box was also glued to a styrene base to allow a better gluing area for fastening to the layout upon completion.

lc16.jpg

The three buildings part painted, waiting for the paint to harden before further work is done.

lc17.jpg

The original card station building was in a poor state when it was removed from the layout, with peeling stone paper, bowed walls, glue marks plus the existing damage. I decided I couldn't make a tidy job of repairing it and so set about making a copy in styrene.

lc18.jpg

Most of the building complete, awaiting paint and glazing.

lc19.jpg

The bungalows are now complete, except for their gardens, which will be completed once they are attached to the layout.

lc22.jpg

Here's the partially stripped station.

lc23.jpg

Looks like you are off to a great start. From what I can see, the track work and roadbed will be your biggest challenges. Keep posting updates. It will be interesting to see how the layout comes back alive.

Back