New Layout (Switching)

fiend540

Well I haven't posted here in awhile, life has been busy over the past year with a move from Western NY to Denver CO but now that we are settled in it is time for me to start my first layout. The primary focus is for it to be a fun to operate switching layout, a little generic in era/location for now to enable some freedom in cars/locos but I'm trying to mimic prototypical operations and industries. Here is what I am working with:

HO Scale, 12" Grid
Number 6 turnouts, Code 83 rail
11'ish by 20" with a 36" removable cassette
Bing Map Link to Prototype Industries I am trying to capture
Industries:
1) Mercer Milling. They are a Animal Feed company and receive ingredients by covered hopper, room for 2-3 cars. Their Website
2) Team Track, pretty generic and I am still looking for suggestions and prototypes to model but seems pretty straight forward
3) Rotondo Warehoue, They are a distribution warehouse that mostly deal with food products and beer by Boxcar, room for 3-4 cars. Their Website
4) Corn Syrup Distributor, Receives corn syrup by tank car, room for 2-3 cars. No website but it's based off an AMD facility in denver that you can see in my bing link

7186390982_c1370fc773_b.jpg

So thoughts, suggestions?

The only suggestion I have is maybe putting in a run around track. Other than that, looks good.

11'ish by 20" with a 36" removable cassette
Bing Map Link to Prototype Industries I am trying to capture

So thoughts, suggestions?

Your proposal is just fine, but 11 feet of layout is maybe just long enough to recreate some of the look and feel of that industry park you are looking at?

crossroads01.jpg

It would have to be switched with the engine pushing one car (for the team track or for the upper left hand track, and pulling other cars (for the trailing spurs), and the switchback lead at upper left is just long enough for an engine to pull two cars from the Syrup facility.

Just a proposal - your plan will also work just fine.

Smile,
Stein

Though the design lacks a run around loop, this is not a real problem. One prototype in the NY area is the NY&A, which handles frieght on Long Island for the LIRR. They typically use two locos on a train, as this enables them to work this sort of yard without a run around loop. It might be a lot of fun figuring out how to switch using this two engine method and no run around loop.

The only suggestion I have is maybe putting in a run around track. Other than that, looks good.

Having a run around would be nice, but they just eat up too much room and I don't really consider it a must have right now.

Though the design lacks a run around loop, this is not a real problem. One prototype in the NY area is the NY&A, which handles frieght on Long Island for the LIRR. They typically use two locos on a train, as this enables them to work this sort of yard without a run around loop. It might be a lot of fun figuring out how to switch using this two engine method and no run around loop.

Yeah I mean, the run around is "there" in a sense, it's just located outside of the layout itself.

Your proposal is just fine, but 11 feet of layout is maybe just long enough to recreate some of the look and feel of that industry park you are looking at?

crossroads01.jpg

It would have to be switched with the engine pushing one car (for the team track or for the upper left hand track, and pulling other cars (for the trailing spurs), and the switchback lead at upper left is just long enough for an engine to pull two cars from the Syrup facility.

Just a proposal - your plan will also work just fine.

Smile,
Stein

Wow, thanks. I have been struggling for awhile now with the switchback setup into Mercer Milling. It's a very interesting setup but I couldn't find a way to incorporate it as cleanly into a design as you have. I sent you a pm!

Welcome back Cory! Glad things have settled down for you. :D

Thanks!

Well I have a little update for you guys, I dumped my plan for the awesome one steinjr came up with (It's awesome thanks again!) and printed it out in full scale so I could get a feel of it. I must say I didn't realize how much roomier the layout would feel. There is plenty of track space and I am really happy with how it looks. The only changes I am going to make is to move the sidings on the left hand side closer to the front edge of the layout so I can reduce the severity of the curve, and the curved siding at Mercer Milling marked 4/5 will become it's own separate industry but I haven't decided of what yet.

Some crappy pics

7218942706_05e470e916_z.jpg

7218941302_faa0046433_z.jpg

Back