New Layout Project.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
As if I didn't have enough to do.

As many of you know, I have moved my office into my house. As part of this process, I have to build a shelving unit in the corner for books, etc. This will have my file cabinet as well as a terrarium.

The office looks like this:

officelayout01.gif

Now the purpose of this layout is to become a moving sculpture. I will not be standing over it and switching, rather I'll turn it on and letter go returning to my desk to work. I see it as a focal point for when I'm writing for my eyes to go to while my mind wanders. Kinda like a lava lamp for those of you that remember.

The layout will take up 12" of vertical space. I started with 13 inch radii and had to reduce it to get the loop back on itself to cross the window. It is notw 11.5". The window crossing is a bridge with a plywood support and riverbed 6" below. The idea is not to obstruct the view as much as possible. The staging has a door 6" wide behind the terrarium. The disconnected track is an abandoned spur and coal mine.

officelayout06.gif

The location is mountains of PA, Norfolk Southern modern. I can't expect Dash-9's to run on that tight of a radius so I'm looking at Sd45-2s. I may end up with Geeps however.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceMouse,

If this is going to be continuous run, how will that happen if there is abandoned track attached to the mainline?

I think Strasburg is confused by the dashed lines. Those represent tunnels or hidden trackage. The abandoned spur to the mine just shows as having no connection to the mainline. I think it's a great overall plan for what you want, Chip, which is basically scenery with a track runnng through it. The only change I'd make is to connect that coal mine spur to the main and scenic it as one of those one train a week kind of dilapidated spurs. Gives you a chance to show how much weeds and overgrowth you can have on a track and still have a train make it up to the mine. :)

I think, which the shape of that layout, you should just plop it down on that desk of yours.

Back