New layout plans

Nate

I want the MKT back!!
Well, I'm finally gonna build a layout. I've got it planned out how I want it, so I just need to build it the rest of the way. I'll give you more info and pictures tomorrow.

-Nate

Here they are. Beware, though. They are large.

Looking at back yard, left side.

Right side. They kind of overlap but you can see where.

Fellow railfan? I hope so. He won't be happy with the house if he's not.

I also plan on kitbashing what I have from a store to build a smaller store. It'll be up farther towards the switches in the "yard". We'll just see what happens. Also, since the pictures I have changed that crossing to a normal piece of track. That will be a concrete style crossing. The road goes under the two tracks on the left side, they will be on bridges. I'm having connection issues with this at least 15 year old track maybe older. I'll probably take each and every piece and give it a thorough cleaning before I put it on foam. That wood table will be what it sits on. The wood is sitting on the floor, I'm gonna have legs put on later. I may put on a shelf with track to store rolling stock, and one lower to store other stuff. Oh well.

-Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming along nicely!... One thing you might want to think about with the older track is, clean it, replace all the jointers and clean that area(where jointers go), paint the rails with a rusty brown paint then bright boy the tops..Spray the roadbed gray(a tip just receintly posted, saves on ballast) and you should end up with new like track! Keep the pictures coming!!

Two more tips--put a least a small layer of foam to build on. Most landscape goes both up and down from the track. Give yourself the option of going down. It will also make the placement of trees and figures easier. Plywood is really hard to mount stuff to.

Paint the foam immediately with cheap brown latex paint--usually the paint store will have a batch that was mixed the wrong color that they will sell at a price to just cover materials. Then paint blotches of a different color brown to give it a mottled camo-effect. Then when you add scenery, you won't have a solid color showing through. The brown, at least will not look like the plywood or foam and will be a big psychological lift.

Two more tips--put a least a small layer of foam to build on. Most landscape goes both up and down from the track. Give yourself the option of going down. It will also make the placement of trees and figures easier. Plywood is really hard to mount stuff to.

Paint the foam immediately with cheap brown latex paint--usually the paint store will have a batch that was mixed the wrong color that they will sell at a price to just cover materials. Then paint blotches of a different color brown to give it a mottled camo-effect. Then when you add scenery, you won't have a solid color showing through. The brown, at least will not look like the plywood or foam and will be a big psychological lift.

Yeah, I'm gonna get a block of foam from Lowes. That's something I planned years ago. And yeah, I need to go down with a few things anyway.

Ok, update: We're staring framing for it. Remember, the table was just a table top and some "one-by" framing. We're doing a two piece table for it, so we're making legs and a frame to set the tabletop on it. We need screws and some "one-by" before we can finish the frame and put foam on. After that, I'm almost on my own.

Way to go Nate, can't wait for more photos. Get some of the frame work when you're building that.

13.gif
Willis

I'll upload those later. I've got 1 of the underside of the table so far, before we worked on it. My grandpa gave it to me without legs, so that's what we're doing to it now.

Ok, I got news. We've got legs on the table, we just need to put foam on it.

I revised my track plan to this:
revisedtrackplan.jpg

It's not to scale, and I don't know how well it'll work, but that's my plan

Back