new guy

lmackattack

old school
the name is Trent im From Chicago . Im just another guy that likes Trains,trucks and basicly anything that has a big engine and wheels. Looks like a good place to talk model trains

Again Just saying hello.
Thanks
Trent

Howdy, Trent, and welcome aboard. Are you thinking of actually building a layout and, if so, what scale? Most of us were armchair modelers for a long time before we laid our first track so nothing to be ashamed of if that's your situation too.

I started out with a LGB trainset that I got for Christmas as an 10 year old kid (18 years ago) after years of mowing lawns during summers I ended up with a 8' x 16' LGB layout that I could run 3-4 trains 6-7 cars each with the help of the primitive automated track block control and automatic stops if trains got to close. My uncle was the brain behind the layout but I did most of the not electrical work. real simple plywood no elevation changes on wodden stilts.

I later took that LGB layout apart and used the 8' x 16' platform for a 2 mainline set up in HO scale. Simple layout with a good sized 5 track yard. 2 sidings per mainline and plenty of switching aera. I used simple blocks to keep trains running on diffrent parts of the layout. This set lasted about 8 years never realy finished the set as I was just having fun with running the trains.

I tinkered with N scale but track work was to much of a PITA for me.

I recently moved into my first townhouse and have an HO scale single track layout, not a prototype of any means just a basic track plan of what I see in my aera, Chicago. I like all of the RR that were present back in the 60s IC,NPR, B&O etc.. the track plan has a small siding on one end and a yard on the other to allow 2 trains to run. It has a reverse loop,95% manual switches, 1 elevation change tp get over the mainline, 3 track yard, 3 track coal yard, 3 industry sidings, and a track to park idle RR equipment ie.. engines,cabooses, plows etc...

To do... Im looking to get my track and locos set up for dcc. I just started installing LED signaling for the mainline and sidings along with 2 under table switches (where I cant reach)

Ill have to get some pics for everyone.

Thanks
Trent

Hello Trent and welcome,
Sounds like your doing quite well with your modeling efforts. This is a great forum btw.

Back