new guy with a few questions.

rmalone

Hi guys, I am looking to set up a small to moderate sized n scale layout. Honestly, I am not sure how big, likely 4'x8' perhaps a little smaller or a little bigger. Where can I get some info on the general principles of doing a layout? Should I use software and just start playing around? Or is there reading material that I should look into first? I don't see any "sticky's" on this forum for us newbies so we don't have bug you hardcores with simple questions.

I would like to do DCC, I am not looking to go on the dirt cheap nor am I looking to go whole hog (well not yet, my hobbies usually end up there). I see that Kato offers track packs, would this be a reasonable way to get an interesting track layout? I have decided NOT to get a ready to run set as the locos in all of them aren't really what I want. And they are just basic loops anyway.

There's a number of different opinions here on track, and the best way to go about it...
One person on the forum recommended getting some turnouts and setting them on paper, and sketching them in place, then figuring out the curves for your flextrack from there...
I did my layout on the Atlas track software, and printed it out 1:1 scale to lay out on my benchwork, and put the risers on it. Unfortunately, I figured out real quick that the software doesn't include the needed clearance for my turnouts! So I'll be doing some grumbling and track cutting shortly!

I use Atlas Code 55 track w/ #7 turnouts. There's some here who despise Code 55 track with a passion (or at least their posts read that way!) and some who love it. Some people prefer Kato, and others the fancy schmancy Shinohara & Micro track. I'm surprised we have no N scalers that do hand-laid track! (Maybe there's a reason for it!)

Hopefully, some of the others will chime in to give their 4.7 cents (figures adjusted for inflation)

There are lots books for beginners published by Kalmbach. They own MRR Magazine.

I suggest a book by John Armstrong: Track Planning for Realistic Operation

And other books like DCC for Beginners, 102 Track Plans. Just search around get what you think you need.

Search these forums for threads on layout planning. And you can use track planning software like XtraCad & Atlas RTS (both are free).

First you need to define the space available for a layout. Don't limit yourself to a 4x8 sheet of plywood that many beginners want to start out with. A 24" wide shelf with around the walls in a bedroom, a layout that will net you more space for a layout.

Welcome to the forum!

Michael has hit the book list right on the head! I second his suggestions.

I won't debate track selection, but I use Atlas code 55. After using the Atlas code 80 and Peco code 80 for many years, I find the code 55 much better! I also like the selection of turnouts in #5, #7, and #10 plus #2.5 and #3.5 wye turnouts. There are some curved turnouts being added to the line as well.

I use the XTRKCAD software to plan my layout. Read the John Armstrong book on track planning and pay close attention to his "givens and druthers" lists. If you spend time on the givens and druthers before trying to pickout a layout plan, you will be much happier with the layout plan you select. Once the givens and druthers are written you can use them to judge the layout plans. Making compromises before you start building will leave you much happier in the long run.

Glenn

WOW is xtrackcad really the easiest software for track design?? I'm going through a walkthrough so to speak and I think I learned how to play guitar faster than I will pick up on this software, lol. I'm sure it's not as daunting as it feels right now but YIKES.

Atlas RTS can make a perfectly good plan, and it's not too hard to work with at all. This was done with RTS and then I added scenery suggestions with Microsoft Paint:

4X8NSCALEOLDWEST-2.jpg

as to the 4x8 question, it sure is easy to get started, but it's not the best use of space since you need walking room around it. In roughly the same space, you could have an around the room more like this:

Kevin.jpg

Check this out to learn more: http://www.layoutvision.com/id28.html It's geared to HO, but still holds true for N scale.

Also, a great place to learn the ropes of layout building is here: http://www.chipengelmann.com/trains/Beginner/BeginnersGuide01.html Once you've got that under your belt, try this: http://www.ldsig.org/ldsigwiki/hints-tips

Awesome help gents. I'm going to take my time, read, and learn one or more programs, keep pestering you guys and THEN start buying the goods.

How's that for a run-on sentence?

Awesome help gents. I'm going to take my time, read, and learn one or more programs, keep pestering you guys and THEN start buying the goods.

How's that for a run-on sentence?

That is the smart thing to do.
I had been in the hobby with O O/27 and Nscale as a kid/teen. Then a hiatus for many many years.
When I got back into the hobby 4.5 years ago, I decided to go HO. BOY did I make some mistakes, even "knowing" what I "knew" from earlier years. I had forgotten about how to properly wire DC, so i bought a book. Then I read about DCC ,and decide to go that route and cut out LOTS of wiring and control the loco instead of track current.

That was AFTER I bought a "cheapy DC train set" and two more DC locos! I HAD to HAVE something in HO to run!!! {Or so I thought} What a waste of money! SO now I only do DCC and will look to sell my DC cheap stuff...CHEAPLY. {I am NOT adept at installing Decoders}.

I Decided DCC for less wiring and ease of "connecting two wires to the layout" {which with a small 3.5 foot x 5.1 foot Ho layout with two interconnected loops and a spur yard and engine servicing facility I could get away with- though I did add feeder wires to bolster continuity}

I also bought a lot of cheapy RR cars that I dont need anymore as I am aquiring more expensive and more detailed and accurate RR cars now...not the $5.99 special with horn hook couplers I need to convert.

I bought the cheap entry level DCC controller the Bachmann EZ COmmand, which has served me well for these years, but now I want a controller with more power and to adress more than 8 locos {It can do 10, but #10 also runs a DC loco if you like [I don't mix DC and DCC], and #3 is factory default setting so don't want a loco assigned there either- so it really only controls 8 and would you belive I ahve more than 8 now?}
So now I am looking to upgrade my DCC system.

Mind you I did what I could with what budget I had at the time and have been very happy inthe hobby. Just wish I had read mroe studied mroe and bought better from the start...
Good luck in yuor endeavor and enjoythe hobby as you can/ how you can!
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by a moderator:

Back