New Guy From Virginia

abutler

Hello all!!! Introducing myself. The name is Allen. I'm in my mid 50's and just getting started with model trains. Only train set i recall was a small wind-up set when I was about 6.
I've been a machinist for 35 years. I dabble in repairing and building computers. I have somewhat of an interest in photography, although I'm not doing much with that.Oh, and I have played a little banjo in the past.
So, about the trains. I'm doing N scale. I bought a couple of Bachmann starter sets from the local train store.http://mariostrains.com/. These sets come with the EZ Track stuff. I do realize what I have and more importantly what I don't have.
My layout is going to start out pretty basic. As in flat. It's going to be a one engine setup for now. I have a lot to learn about train modeling. I never did much more than glue up model cars when i was young. I hope to do more with this. So i have pictures of where I stand now so I'm going to make an attempt at posting them.
Some pictures to follow. Thanks for having me here. Been fun reading and learning so far. Allen

So,some pictures

Like I said, a couple of starter sets. And a very simple bench/table to set it up on. And a basic layout.

pictures 2

A few construction views. Like I said, nothing fancy. And the tracks as I have them now. I have some building kits on the way as well as some tree's and other scenery type stuff. So there it is. Any and all comments more than welcome. Allen

Hi Allen, well, you have an excellent start and what you have is great. I like your train, but then I'm a die hard Sante Fe fan. ha ha You have enough track to make your layout interesting and fun. Some buildings and scenery will make it a lot of fun both to look at and to operate the trains on. You're sure starting right and it looks great, keep it up, and keep us posted. Just keep the rails shiney, run those trains pal.!!!

Welcome to the forum Allen! Nice start to your first layout. Isn't it funny how consumed you can become with tiny trains running in circles?:D

Hi Allen. Looks like you're off to a good start! One thing you will soon discover is that you will never be done. You may think you are but you will realize that you were sadly mistaken!:p

You'll like it here............very friendly and informative. Enjoy the hobby!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Some of my "stuff" came in so I think I'll see about working on the layout tonight after dinner.Maybe some preliminary tree planting to see if my "vision" will work out. Talk later. Allen

Additions

Did some tree's at the back. Need to get some ground cover back their. I'm thinking mostly brown with a hint of green.

Back