new from nebraska

pack_man26

Hello all!!!!

new to modeling and wanting to start an n-scale layout. I want to go with a 4x8 set up to start and see how things go. I mentioned to an older guy i worked with that i was getting into trains and i happened to purchase some things he had in the attic for better than 20 years. It consisted of lots of atlas track 3 locos and about 15 passanger cars all from the late 60's. I have done some reading but could really use some help with track designs and WHERE DO I START.

First of all, be aware that stuff from the late 60's is WAAAAAAAAY inferior to the stuff currently available. It doesn't mean you can't use it, but since you are new, don't get discouraged if you have some problems. Buy some new stuff (especially engines) so you have something for comparison.

I'd suggest you put up a table and just play around a little and get a feel for what you might want...........a lot of things can effect how you plan the layout. For example do you just want to watch trains run around the track, or do you want to do primarily switching......or a little of both.

The important thing is have fun. Don't spend the next 6 months trying to make plans. Put some track down (even if it's just temporary) and get some trains running.

Back