New from Florida

sirfjm

Francis here. I wanted to stop by and say hi and that I love scratch building railroad signals whether it be crossing signals or BLMA block signals. I do have an HO scale set but it is not in layout form. I tend to concentrate more on larger models in the 1/10 size alittle bigger than g scale. These working models all involve Hot,glue, sheet metal, wooden or metal dowels, cereal boxes, paper towel rolls, black and silver gloss spray paint, plastic and lots of wiring for the gate and main lights. Here are some pics and a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emPnwNljM1E

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I am considering building a couple of CSX locos with intermodel cars to go with the signals. Only thing limiting me is space.

Where in FL are you from? I know of a couple 1 1/2" scale clubs that would love your expertise. One is in Largo at Largo City Park, and the other is up in Pasco County. Not to mention a few others. :D

I'm in winter haven in polk county. I would really enjoy working with other modelers as I have been building and working solo for many years.

Francis, Gotta have one of those for my Driveway. I'm 60 miles south of you on what use to be US Hwy.17. I use to go Roller Skating in Winter Haven all the time & that was part of my territory when I was in sales for Zee Medical in the 80's.
How well do they hold up in the outdoors? There's a trainshow up your way in Plant City March 12th. Don't forget the Live Steam show in Parrish this coming weekend & the one in Sebring on the 12th of March.
I have a huge HO layout here in Arcadia.

Thanks LOL. They hold up pretty good even though I keep them inside from the elements when not in use. The only thing about these particular models is that not everything is water proof. The visors and light targets are made out of cereal boxes which I dont think would hold up to the rain. On the other hand, I do make metal visors as well which I did for the block signals. As mentioned earlier, they do good outside and can hold up to Florida wind.

I use to live in Port Richey. But, yup, what Larry said...LOL! Check out the Live Steamers Shows or open houses. There is one in your area. Can't remember quite exactly where they are, but it's called the Ridge Club. Or was anyways. If yiu have a few of your signals you eant to sell, you also might want to check out J&R Trains in St. Pete,. they have a show about every 6 months at their store. They are right on US19 on Nirth side of town., east side of Hwy

Back