New Bloke to Forum

lyctus

Hi all ! Vetran modeller - picked up first US model rail magazine in 1974, been messing about with model trains since 8yo. Have built a number of layouts, usually hampered by lack of time......now having retired from my business some 4 years ago, and forced to downsize to eliminate a bank debt over same even after a sale, I have got some time, but challenged for space ! About to embark on a 2.4m x 2.4m (8'x8') C shaped N gauge layout inspired by the WM Thomas Sub layout described in Kempinski's Realistic Track Plans for Medium Sized Layouts (Kalmbach) pge 21. I don't have the space to even reproduce the published plan, but my wife ceded the space the builder called the Home Theatre room on the plans for our home as a bribe to get my enthusiastic support for the new build. It worked both ways ! So, off on an exciting new layout....but I'm not convinced that retro fitting all my N gauge locos for DCC ( I do have a Lenz DCC controller ) and, well, I like the switches and wiring for DC, - kind of reminicent of the old manual signalbox (tower) I remember from my days on station platforms hearing the bell codes and crash of levers setting the road for incoming and departing trains. (My eldest son recently presented me with a handbuilt microprocessor wired up through buttons to a speaker which has bell codes which I can use to receive or despatch trains on a small shelf layout in 4mm (00) pre-nationalisation British outline .)
I live in Perth Western Australia, born and bred here and my 9 grandchildren are 5th Generation Australians - fairly rare, but we will be out-genned by a good number of others, of course. ( Aboriginal Australians can show evidence of 60,000 years of continuous occupation of the land ). I have an international taste in railways - travelled on trains in Britain, Europe, Taiwan, China, New Zealand, Canada, USA, and love 'em all. I have driven diesel locos and fired enormous 2ft gauge South African N Class steam locos on a local metropolitan regional park preserved line (WALRPA -look it up ! ) here in Perth. My choice of 'lyctus' - my user name (wood boring beetle which leaves a pile of wood dust where he has been busy) relates to my other interest in woodwork where I do make a bit of sawdust.
So, I have commenced benchwork and look forward to steady progress on the new layout.

G,day, lyctus! Welcome! Do you or anyone in your family remember in February 1962, turning on the lights of Perth as our astronaut John Glenn flew over the city? I have been modelling in HO scale for 65 years or so, and have a bunch of DC locomotives. While I have converted five of them to DCC, and bought a few more, there is no way I can convert them all. My layout is an around-the-wall plus peninsula in a 14' x 14' room. I run trains mostly alone, and even with DCC I only run one at a time. I solved the problem of all my DC locomotives by having a master toggle switch on my main control panel that selects either DC or DCC.
Stay well and safe, Mate!

Welcome. I have a love for Australia because of my WW II Navy vet father. He was stationed in Australia much of his service time and always spoke glowingly of the hospitality of their people.

G,day, lyctus! Welcome! Do you or anyone in your family remember in February 1962, turning on the lights of Perth as our astronaut John Glenn flew over the city? I have been modelling in HO scale for 65 years or so, and have a bunch of DC locomotives. While I have converted five of them to DCC, and bought a few more, there is no way I can convert them all. My layout is an around-the-wall plus peninsula in a 14' x 14' room. I run trains mostly alone, and even with DCC I only run one at a time. I solved the problem of all my DC locomotives by having a master toggle switch on my main control panel that selects either DC or DCC.
Stay well and safe, Mate!
Hi Trailrider,Yes, I remember our small city (then and now really 2.3M) getting very involved shining lights skyward and John Glenn acknowledging the lights after what would have been a fairly long period of a very dark earth passing under him. We thought that was fantastic. John Glenn visited Perth a time later and was feted with a parade through the city withmany people turning out to greet him. I have a vinyl record called Man in Space with a series of audio clips from the space flight including a mention of the lights of Perth. Yay !
I have fitted DCC decoders to HO locos, not too difficult if they were 'DCC Ready' but I am not excited about fitting to N gauge locos. And the cost will be fairly expensive, and anyway, I like wiring layouts and I like flicking switches......I may well do as you have, and fit a master switch DC/DCC. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome. I have a love for Australia because of my WW II Navy vet father. He was stationed in Australia much of his service time and always spoke glowingly of the hospitality of their people.
Hi TexasJim, Aussies do pride themselves on being friendly - lets face it, there's not many of us - we gotta be friends...who needs fighting and enemies ? Thanks for the welcome.

Back