Need some help identifying.

Warner rails

Hello, I'm not to knowledgeable on locomotive identifying and model numbers. What I'm looking for is something similar to this. It's from my son's video game, Farmsim 19. He spends more time driving the train than plowing fields. Lol.

I think he would love to have one of his engines painted this way. Thanks for the help.
20210911_103203.jpg

First, there is no real engine that looks exactly like that, its a artist's rendition of an engine, not a picture of an actual engine. Next since its not a real railroad, you won't find one painted like that either.

The closest you are going to get is a GP40-2 or a GP50 type engine.

First, there is no real engine that looks exactly like that, its a artist's rendition of an engine, not a picture of an actual engine. Next since its not a real railroad, you won't find one painted like that either.

The closest you are going to get is a GP40-2 or a GP50 type engine.

I fully understand that this is not a real engine. I also understand that this is a video game and not real life. I am aware that I need to paint it. My question was for something "similar" to this so I can get it as close as possible to bash it. I'm sitting here chuckling over that response. Made my day.
Thank you for the suggestions of the GP40-2 or GP50. I'll definitely look into those.

Yeah I’d stick with a four axle diesel just because it will perform best on smaller radius curves. Feebay might be a good place to look for an undecorated unit, maybe Atlas or Kato for quality.
Let us know how it goes!

Yeah I’d stick with a four axle diesel just because it will perform best on smaller radius curves. Feebay might be a good place to look for an undecorated unit, maybe Atlas or Kato for quality.
Let us know how it goes!
That gp50 looks pretty close. My turn radius is 10.5in and it's a four axle. That might be the route to take.

As you know, it's a fictional locomotive, but the interesting thing (at least to me) is that it incorporates features similar to a variety of other locomotives. However those features are from vastly different locomotives from different manufacturers. Perhaps that was their intention, to have something that is not a "copy" of something, but it does make finding a hobby equivalent a little difficult. What scale are you looking for? To run or just display? And how close do you want it? i.e. Out-of-the-box similar? Or are you planning on modifying the body or kitbashing it to look as close as possible?

The first thing that sticks out to me are the noticeable "porches," which are the platforms at the front and rear. The locomotive most like that is the SD40, which ended up that way because it used the same frame as the larger-engine SD45, but under a shorter lengthwise hood. The result was extra space at each end, which was left as a platform:

800px-SLWC_SD40-2_%2826875005808%29.jpg

However, the SD40 is a six-axle locomotive, versus only four in your image. I can't think of any four-axle locomotives with a noticeable overhang like that. Also, the trucks on the FarmSim locomotive are a little strange; they look like modern hi-adhesion trucks, but with only two axles. AFAIK, hi-ad trucks are only made with 3 axles each:

5xamgtaOeAoBFprm2byI_exjBEXv9yqeSflIEjpdimcRwxQ-JYFOugGUqbYo7Of_0FIMGfwWsbdMUn3Vw4IpRVfDifu-SqMQSgIiTh1yAM9P7NU

Next, the cab has a mix of window designs. It has two half-width front windows, which is practically non-existent on that style of cab, because most have an entry door on one side of the front cab. A long windshield like that wouldn't permit a door next to the nose. Plus, the front windshield is angled. That makes me think of an Alco, such as a C420:

800px-A%26M_RR.JPG

The side cab windows are a little unusual in that they are 4-panel square windows. That makes me think of the cabs specified by some Canadian railroads, such as on this rebuilt GP20C-ECO:

DSC_0346.jpg

I think that has its origins in the early Canadian designs of the "North American safety cab," e.g. in this C44-9WL:

14870672214_a609735026.jpg

Note the bell placement and trucks...similar to the FamSim train.

Finally, you've got flared radiators in the middle (similar to a GP40 or 50 with dynamic brakes), and five EMD-style top fan assemblies (SD40, SD45...I don't think any 4-axle GP's had 5 top fans).

So I guess it comes down to what elements you want to match closest. If you want the front porch, try an SD40. If you need four axles, look at the GP40/50/60. If you want the angled front windows, check out some Alcos, C420s, C628s.

But y'innow after all that...I just had a thought. Similar color, front and back overhang, four top fans, mid radiator flare. How about an Elgin, Joliet, and Eastern SD38-2?

Kato-HO-Scale-EJE-SD38-2-Elgin-Joliet-Eastern.jpg

This was a six-axle, somewhat limited production version of the GP38. Because they stretched the frame to fit the extra axles, it has porches like the SD40. Only thing you'd have to do is paint over the logos and lower frame, and re-number it. Kato, Athearn, and a few other manufacturers made this in HO scale. I think Intermountain has one listed for future production (but the ways things are moving lately, could be years before it's available for purchase).

Good luck to you, thanks for giving me a way to avoid being productive around home for an hour this afternoon.

Probably out of the box similarity would be something like GP38 or GP39. If you want something inexpensive to test his interest, I'd suggest one of the older Athearn GP38-2 models. They are not bad, and not horribly expensive.

As you know, it's a fictional locomotive, but the interesting thing (at least to me) is that it incorporates features similar to a variety of other locomotives. However those features are from vastly different locomotives from different manufacturers. Perhaps that was their intention, to have something that is not a "copy" of something, but it does make finding a hobby equivalent a little difficult. What scale are you looking for? To run or just display? And how close do you want it? i.e. Out-of-the-box similar? Or are you planning on modifying the body or kitbashing it to look as close as possible?

The first thing that sticks out to me are the noticeable "porches," which are the platforms at the front and rear. The locomotive most like that is the SD40, which ended up that way because it used the same frame as the larger-engine SD45, but under a shorter lengthwise hood. The result was extra space at each end, which was left as a platform:

800px-SLWC_SD40-2_%2826875005808%29.jpg

However, the SD40 is a six-axle locomotive, versus only four in your image. I can't think of any four-axle locomotives with a noticeable overhang like that. Also, the trucks on the FarmSim locomotive are a little strange; they look like modern hi-adhesion trucks, but with only two axles. AFAIK, hi-ad trucks are only made with 3 axles each:

5xamgtaOeAoBFprm2byI_exjBEXv9yqeSflIEjpdimcRwxQ-JYFOugGUqbYo7Of_0FIMGfwWsbdMUn3Vw4IpRVfDifu-SqMQSgIiTh1yAM9P7NU

Next, the cab has a mix of window designs. It has two half-width front windows, which is practically non-existent on that style of cab, because most have an entry door on one side of the front cab. A long windshield like that wouldn't permit a door next to the nose. Plus, the front windshield is angled. That makes me think of an Alco, such as a C420:

800px-A%26M_RR.JPG

The side cab windows are a little unusual in that they are 4-panel square windows. That makes me think of the cabs specified by some Canadian railroads, such as on this rebuilt GP20C-ECO:

View attachment 132299

I think that has its origins in the early Canadian designs of the "North American safety cab," e.g. in this C44-9WL:

14870672214_a609735026.jpg

Note the bell placement and trucks...similar to the FamSim train.

Finally, you've got flared radiators in the middle (similar to a GP40 or 50 with dynamic brakes), and five EMD-style top fan assemblies (SD40, SD45...I don't think any 4-axle GP's had 5 top fans).

So I guess it comes down to what elements you want to match closest. If you want the front porch, try an SD40. If you need four axles, look at the GP40/50/60. If you want the angled front windows, check out some Alcos, C420s, C628s.

But y'innow after all that...I just had a thought. Similar color, front and back overhang, four top fans, mid radiator flare. How about an Elgin, Joliet, and Eastern SD38-2?

Kato-HO-Scale-EJE-SD38-2-Elgin-Joliet-Eastern.jpg

This was a six-axle, somewhat limited production version of the GP38. Because they stretched the frame to fit the extra axles, it has porches like the SD40. Only thing you'd have to do is paint over the logos and lower frame, and re-number it. Kato, Athearn, and a few other manufacturers made this in HO scale. I think Intermountain has one listed for future production (but the ways things are moving lately, could be years before it's available for purchase).

Good luck to you, thanks for giving me a way to avoid being productive around home for an hour this afternoon.
Wow!!! Thank you for all of this info. The scale is N and the idea is not intended to make it an exact replica. Just something close. That sd38 looks pretty good and just might be what I'm after. It will be an extra loco for his layout that I'm currently building.

Probably out of the box similarity would be something like GP38 or GP39. If you want something inexpensive to test his interest, I'd suggest one of the older Athearn GP38-2 models. They are not bad, and not horribly expensive.
Thank you.. I'll look into those as well. I already figured that some kitbashing will be required. My son is 6 so I have some room for not making an exact replica. Then again he surprises me every day with what he notices. Lol

Thank you.. I'll look into those as well. I already figured that some kitbashing will be required. My son is 6 so I have some room for not making an exact replica. Then again he surprises me every day with what he notices. Lol
Here's a link to the cheapest one on Fleabay. Since you're going to be repainting, the paint isn't so important, and in this case looks like you can save some cash:

Back