Need opinion and info

Whats your opinion, should i leave this section flat on the board or put roadbed under it. Second pic is of a broken handrail, what type of glue is best to repair it? I have some of the faller glue to put the buildings together with, but i have my reservations about it working on this type of plastic.

Whats your opinion, should i leave this section flat on the board or put roadbed under it. Second pic is of a broken handrail, what type of glue is best to repair it? I have some of the faller glue to put the buildings together with, but i have my reservations about it working on this type of plastic.

Raise it. Put 1/2" or 3/4" of foam under it and glue the track down to the foam without roadbed. Having the mine slightly elevated relative to the rest of the track will look better.

As to the handrail, most handrails are molded out of self-lubricating plastic, usually acetal. What this means is that even cyanoacrylate (super glue) doesn't stick. You can try very carefully using two-part epoxy but if you really care about it just buy a set of replacement handrails. Alot of people use brass wire for handrails, I think Smokey Valley makes loco-specific sets.

Typically, yard tracks, industrial spurs, and sidings are 'depressed' compared to the higher speed mains nearby. That is so that loose rolling stock that begins to roll can't climb up and foul the turnout or the main (although often there are derailers placed before the turnout linking the siding to the main prevent such fouling). So, if you can build a gentle transition up to the main with the roadbed, that would be more prototypical.

I can't tell what the problem is with the hand-rail, but if the nib is still in place, they are usually meant to be just a pressure/friction fit in the hole. In any case, if you must glue, just use a tiny drop of CA or MEK. The problem will be that if either type migrates outward from the insertion, you'll get a frosty look there or a shiny one in the case of the MEK.

Broken Railing

I specifically read someone that had a broken loco railing and used
Aleene's Original Tacky Glue to fix... but have not tried it myself. aj

Whats your opinion, should i leave this section flat on the board or put roadbed under it.
I would leave it flat on the board. The area right around a mine like that is going to be artificially contoured by men's machines anyway, so perfectly flat is prototypical.
Second one would want an industrial area to be lower than the main track.
Finally there will not be an issue of wheel-to-benchwork noise here since trains don't "run through" here.

Thanks for the input. I think i will leave it down on the plywood. Im just getting back to working on it after a break of 6 months.

Back