Need help with simple turnout layout

jackstrat

This is a great forum and as a total novice I am learning a lot, at least model railroading terms if nothing else.

I am planning a simple layout for the grandkids using Atlas HO true-track components.

However, I am having difficulty with part of the layout. I have a 22" radius oval with two remote turnouts (Atlas 480 and 481). What Atlas components do I need to complete the radius between the two turnouts (circled in my attachment layout)? I'm not sure which radius should be used and have tried plugging in the 18" (Atlas 460) and 22" (Atlas 463) radius track pieces...

Also...

I plan to assemble the inner 18" oval using an Atlas train set (Atlas Trainman HO 0035 Train Set). I plan on running the BNSF train on the 22" radius oval and a single trolley car on the 18" radius inner oval.

Given the above, will the transformer - powerpack included in the set run both sets of tracks, or should I order a second transformer?

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
jack

No radius will complete a true oval if it is a 'true' N. American style turnout. A snap switch might work because it has a curved diverging route as do the British style turnouts and their models, the older style Pecos. Except for snap track and snap switches, such as the #4, you will have to resort to what is known as a curved turnout...both routes curved, but the diverging route curves more tightly. Generally they are not great in tighter radius circumstances, but they work very well with radii larger than about 26". The reason they don't work well with smaller radii is that the inner route turns into something almost ridiculous like 15" radius or worse.

A simple Atlas #4 is really a #4.5 with what is called a substitution radius. You can get it to work on your layout, and where you want it, but you will have to alter the curvature after the turnout if you want to restore what is left. The reason is that on N. American style turnouts the diverging route is actually tangent track (straight) from the ingress to the frog and beyond. Only the points rails are curved.

I believe Peco makes a curved turnout that should do somewhat better than a N. American #4 or a #5 if you insist upon the oval. Count on spending about $25, give or take some sweet deals if you spend some time searching on line.

-Crandell

Last edited by a moderator:
Crandell
Thanks for the reply. Evidently, turnout is not the right word. The Atlas 480/481 are LH RH switches and appear to have a radius.

Regarding the oval, it does not to have to be perfect. I simply want to connect the two switches with some sort of radius.

JackL

Flyboy2610.

Thanks for the reply regarding the software. I have been using it and just found late today that some of the Atlas True-Track components are configured wrong in the software. Once I figured that out I was able to finish my layout.

Thanks again,
jack

Jack, good for you for persisting and reaching the point where you could complete your task. Bravo. :D

-Crandell

Back