Need help with NCE Power Cab...

Scordicus

I have a Power cab and have recently started installing sound decoders in to my small fleet however I don't particularly like the way the sound stops dead as soon as the controller is set to zero speed, so I have selected to have the engine sound run on when the control speed is set to zero, on tick over until the loco is deselected. However, even after scouring the manual from front to back & the web, I can't for the life of me figure out how to deselect a loco..

Is there a way of doing this through the controller? As I don't particularly want to overload the system and have it trip out every few minutes if I have a few loco's fired up at the same time if they've been previously selected or have to limit the amount of sound fitted loco's I have sitting on the layout..

Upgrading with a booster is not an option as I don't have a particularly large layout so one is not needed & I don't intend having any more than two loco's running at any one time, I just need to kill the loco's that I no longer require to run at any particular time..

Any help would be appreciated...

I have a Power cab and have recently started installing sound decoders in to my small fleet however I don't particularly like the way the sound stops dead as soon as the controller is set to zero speed, so I have selected to have the engine sound run on when the control speed is set to zero, on tick over until the loco is deselected. However, even after scouring the manual from front to back & the web, I can't for the life of me figure out how to deselect a loco..

Is there a way of doing this through the controller? As I don't particularly want to overload the system and have it trip out every few minutes if I have a few loco's fired up at the same time if they've been previously selected or have to limit the amount of sound fitted loco's I have sitting on the layout..

Upgrading with a booster is not an option as I don't have a particularly large layout so one is not needed & I don't intend having any more than two loco's running at any one time, I just need to kill the loco's that I no longer require to run at any particular time..

Any help would be appreciated...

Good question, I have been wondering the same thing. As a workaround i hit the mute button when my logo is at rest.
-Art

As a workaround i hit the mute button when my logo is at rest.

Good point Art, I didn't think of that.. I'm in the process of constructing my small layout at the moment so my Power Cab is currently hooked up to a small rolling road, which means I can only work on/run one loco at a time at the moment..

Does the mute button work only on the particular loco selected, or for everything on the layout?? I'm guessing it's decoder specific & just the selected loco, but thought I'd check anyway lol...

A snippet of information...

Artieiii I found this snippet of information on the web whilst searching for an answer, but I haven't tried it yet as I stay at my fiance's at the weekends..

The Soundtraxx decoder has something called quiet mode, I don't know if it will work on other sound decoders or if it's Soundtraxx specific, I presume that it will work on others that are NMRA standard though all things being equal & all that.. I personally use Digitrax sound decoders so it will be interesting to see if it works on those..

To activate the Quiet Mode, simply program CV 113 to any non-zero value between 1 and 255.
This value sets the amount of time in tenth second increments, that the decoder will wait before it turns the audio off. Thus, a setting of 120 corresponds to 12.0 seconds.
Setting CV 113 to 0 disables this feature and the sounds will turn on immediately when the decoder is powered up and remain turned on for the duration of the operating session.

Hope this helps, depending on what decoders you use and anybody else for that fact.. It would be helpful if people could try it with their different sound decoders and post your findings on here..

I have a PowerCab and use a fair amount of Soundtraxx. I mute each engine if it starts to bug me. Or cut the power to that block.

Back