Need Help Identifying Locomotive

elsner203

I was told it was Con Cor/Rivarossi, but there are no markings on it at all. The only marking I can find is Bachmann on the underside of the tender. They look like they go together. Safe to assume the locomotive is Bachmann also? I can't find conclusive evidence online yet.

Cab Forward 003.jpg

Cab Forward 004.jpg

Cab Forward 002.jpg

The loco itself is a Rivarossi Cab Forward from the 1970,/80'a The tender is off a Bachmann 2-10-2 and has no wiring or pickups if I remember correctly.
Oh tender is "pre-Spectrum" Bachmann.

The tender is probably worth more than that. The Rivarossi Cab forwards go for between 125 and 200. on ebay. I've seen them go for close to 100. non-working. Nice score!

I do want to mention the chassis does not look like a Rivarossi. I am not an expert by any means, however I have 2 rearward cab Mallets that are Rivarossi's and the articulation configuration is quite different. I have a Bachman N&W J model that looks more similar. The valve gear is also very different than what I'm used to seeing from Rivarossi also, more typical of Bachman. Either way NICE.

P.S. I mat be way off as I work in HO scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does run, but won't make it through my turnouts without derailing. I'm gonna do a bit more research and try putting it up for sale. Maybe here, maybe eBay. Should be a good deal either way. I might have to go back and buy the other one for $10!

ConCor did import N gauge Rivarossi steamers in the 1980, IIRC. Your loco may very well be one of them; I'd think the loco itself would be marked for one of the two companies.

The only plastic cab fwd's every made in HO were/are Rivarossi. The tender is not original to the Loco.

Back