Need Help, ID, Repowering, ETC

fire28

Hi Guys & Gals.

Finally getting around to going through all my grandfathers HO Stuff (Lots of old Rivarossi Steam, Athearn BB & Atlas Locos).

Have this old Atlas (Id Help Needed GP-?? Yellow Box, Newer, Older?):confused: Locomotive, and have some questions.

1. Can it be re-powered (If so what do I need and where do I get)?
1a. If yes anyone here feel like doing it for some $?
2. If no to #1 what should I do to it to try and get it running better. It sputters now.

Thanks
Tim

*Edit* Helps if I added photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may just need a good cleaning. I would try that first before attempting a repower.

The "good" cleaning I'm referring to would entail a complete teardown of the loco in question. Oftentimes, when a loco has been in storage or not used for years, things like grease has solidified in the gear boxes, pickups have gotten dirty, and the commutator/brushes on the motor have gotten dirty. Nothing that a complete clean up wouldn't cure.

Due to construction on my layout for example, I have locos that haven't run in years. But at least once a year, I take these locos apart, clean them thoroughly and re-lube as they are reassembled. Keeps them running as they should.

Have this old Atlas (Id Help Needed GP-?? Yellow Box, Newer, Older?):confused: Locomotive, and have some questions.

1. Can it be re-powered (If so what do I need and where do I get)?
1a. If yes anyone here feel like doing it for some $?
2. If no to #1 what should I do to it to try and get it running better. It sputters now.
That is a vintage Atlas Roco powered loco.
1. Yes it is very easy to repower. NSWL made an exact fit motor for it. Plus I think just about every "flat can" dual shaft motor made today will work.
1a. Yeah, but I really don't think it needs to be repowered. It should run just fine unless the motor has actually been damaged in some way.
2. Sputtering is probably power pick up, not the motor. First check all the wires to make certain they are soldered well. Second clean the wheels. I always put a strong paper towel or rag soaked in alcohol over the rails and hold the loco on it while it is running full speed. Third is the one everyone misses. This locomotive has a brass wiper on the back of each wheel. That brass wiper can get gunk all over it. Put a tiny piece of paper towel on a flat tooth pick soak it in alcohol and wipe the back of the wheel as well as the wiper itself. To do this I don't remember if you have to take the bottom cover off or not.

3. Getting the trucks off. I really don't remember. I would have to pull out of the box and look. I haven't run mine for many years now. Ok, I couldn't stand it. I pulled one out. Two ways to do this. 1. Just pull the outside edge of the truck down and out ward (away from the drive shaft). The "fingers" will flex and let the truck come off. 2. On the rear of the truck (the part toward the center of the locomotive) there is a tab that has to be pried out. The cover (under part & side frames) then pivots and lifts from the outer knotch. Once this cover is off the truck frame then just tips back off of the drive shaft and off the loco. Warning, doing this will most likely also pull the wheels off exposing the brass feelers I was talking about above. They aren't terrifically easy to get back in

Doing either of these one risks ripping the feeder wires off. If the loco isn't filthy with gunk in the gears there isn't much need to do this.

Back