Need help figuring corners

Ballhog24

Woody
Ok, I don't want to blindly order curved track and "hope" it fits in my layout...
so I'm hoping a little help, or someone can point me in a right direction.

So far my layout is approximately 30 feet long and approximately 15 feet wide.

My two straights will be 20 feet long, and 18 feet long, and I'm basically looking for just some nice wide arching curves to join the two straight sections.

So what is the best way to measure what kind of curve track I should purchase? Is there a formula or something that will help?

And before anyone asks, yes I will probably throw in an S curve or a kidney shape in the straights so they're not so boring...but that shouldn't change the two end curves too much, should it?

You should indicate what scale you are modeling in, and what type of track you are using. If you are in HO scale, track comes in 3 foot straight peices that can be curved into almost any radius. Snap together track like Bachmann's EZ track and Kato brand may or may not come in different radii. O scale Lionel/MTH 3-rail track comes in several different fixed radii too.

Railphotog said:
You should indicate what scale you are modeling in, and what type of track you are using. If you are in HO scale, track comes in 3 foot straight peices that can be curved into almost any radius. Snap together track like Bachmann's EZ track and Kato brand may or may not come in different radii. O scale Lionel/MTH 3-rail track comes in several different fixed radii too.

My apologies. I figured posting in the G scale forum would be a dead give-away. :D

I'll be using G scale track, 332 code, Aristocraft track with Euro ties.

Wait, I have to control my drooling over the size of your layout. ;)

If you go to http://www.aristocraft.com/ and click Catalog, then Track, you'll see a list that shows the radius for each style. They probably have a template that you can use to lay your track out on paper first.

Or, you can lay out the track plan using rope, garden hose, or safety tape to see which track radius will take you where you want to go.

One tip (that I learned the hard way): Don't try to join stock track pieces of different radii without putting at least one piece of straight track between them.

Claudia, I think BallHog is going to get that FAQ project started for you. Good questions. Someday I plan on doing an outdoor layout. So this is good stuff to know.

Lady_Railfan said:

If you go to http://www.aristocraft.com/ and click Catalog, then Track, you'll see a list that shows the radius for each style. They probably have a template that you can use to lay your track out on paper first.

Or, you can lay out the track plan using rope, garden hose, or safety tape to see which track radius will take you where you want to go.

One tip (that I learned the hard way): Don't try to join stock track pieces of different radii without putting at least one piece of straight track between them.

Thanks Lady,

Didn't see a template, but I have been on the AC web site a bit...I'm calling hobby shops all around the state trying to find someone who can order track for me so I can avoid the massive shipping costs from ordering online.

I did talk to two shops...one in Little Rock here who is outrageously priced, and one shop about three hours drive from the house. If his prices are much better, then we'll just probably make a weekend out of it, cause the town this shop is in is in the middle of the Ozarks, and it's beautiful up there this time of year.

Lady_Railfan said:

Droolings? That's only going to be about 150 feet of track lady...certainly that's not very big by large scale standards...is it?

Well, everything is relative, as my Mom used to say. :D I only have 75 feet of track, and the entire layout is just 5 feet wide by about 30 feet long. Not even room for a passing track yet. But I have my eye on the other half of the back yard terrace strip if I can get The Husband to agree to moving some plants.

Gotcha. Just thought of another question, if you don't mind.

Does anyone here use RR Track as a track diagram program? Any pro's or cons about it that anyone knows?

Or is there something better available?

I haven't used RR Track, so I can't respond to that, but I dug up a template I bought several years ago from a local hobby shop. It shows all the different stock track sizes, including turnouts, turntable dimensions, crossovers, stock track lengths, etc.

I couldn't find a web site for this company, but here's the address:
CTT, Inc., 109 Medallion Center, Dallas, TX 75214, Phone: 214-373-9469

As I said, I just put the track pieces down on the ground and moved them around 'til I had a layout that fit together. Certainly not the best way to do it, but it got me started.

I you want to send me a PM with your address, I'll mail you the template.

Back