NCE help please

Hawkesburytrain

I'm about to start my switch panel and need help on the wiring.
First, here's a picture:

View attachment 59626
I want my control panel to have one push button to activate the tortoise and also light up the right color of the LED. The panel will have 16 tortoises, so I want 16 push buttons and 32 LED's

1) I was under the impression that I could use only one push button per tortoise, is this doable and if so how? Because the button board says 2 push buttons per tortoises

2) How do I connect the LED to the hardware? If someone could take this drawing and draw what needs to be connected, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

To use a single push button with the Switch8, you don't use the Button Board. The push button uses the auxiliary contacts on the Tortoise to "toggle" the position of the switch. You can download the wiring diagram tortoise toggle.pdf here: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201565509-Accessory-Switch-Decoder-Manuals

You could use the other set of auxiliary contacts on the Tortoise to run the LEDs. I'm not a graphics software user so I don't have any way of drawing a wiring diagram for you.

wiring-leds_7.gif

To use a single push button with the Switch8, you don't use the Button Board. The push button uses the auxiliary contacts on the Tortoise to "toggle" the position of the switch. You can download the wiring diagram tortoise toggle.pdf here: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201565509-Accessory-Switch-Decoder-Manuals

You could use the other set of auxiliary contacts on the Tortoise to run the LEDs. I'm not a graphics software user so I don't have any way of drawing a wiring diagram for you.

Thanks Kevin, I saw this diagram, but that's for one tortoise, so if I have 16, I need 16 Switch-it? I understood that if you had 8 you could use the Switch8MK2

Thanks Toot, I did see that drawing, but it doesn't help my drawing.

Sorry for trying to send a quick response while tired. What I should have said is that "in addition to the button board", you need to use a set of the Tortoise contacts. This is a case of truly, a picture being worth a thousand words. What did you use to create your drawing? (Or Toot) Is it easy to learn? I'll try to work something up tomorrow if no one else beats me to it. But you can do it, that is control 8 machines with 1 push button each, using the Button Board and a Switch-8. And the LEDs aren't a problem, again, I just don't know to illustrate it for you. And the wiring isn't hard to do, just hard to explain verbally.

As a PS, a switch-it controls two Torti (Tortoises).

Thanks Kevin,

I used Photoshop to draw the diagram.
I understand that explaining verbally is tough, but in my case it's tougher, I'm more of a visual person.
If you want to draw it on a piece of paper, that's as good

I saw somewhere that I could program the button board (Switch8MK2) so that it would take only one push button per tortoise

Iron, that helps me so much
Sorry if I need to be explained in details.
Cool, it is hard trying to get the necessary level of detail correct based on these text posts.

Sorry I am no help with the push button. I read the NCE documentation on the button board and switch8. It looks like Red Oak & Western is correct that you will need to use the contacts of the tortoise itself as a toggle for the single push button.

Thanks Iron,
I did find the answer for the push button.
The button board will accept 1 push button per tortoise, BUT, the button board needs to be programmed.

"Setting CV548 = 1 will cause each push-button connected via the ‘Button Board’ to ‘toggle’ the switch machine output, i.e. each press of one button will alternate the switch’s position. Thus only 8 push-buttons are needed; each is connected to an ‘N’ terminal, so less wires in the control panel. Setting CV548 = 0 disables it. (Factory default = 0)."

So the diagram you posted is what it will look like.
In the next 2 weeks I should finish wiring all my tracks, installing all 17 tortoises, working on my drawer which will contain all the hardware and doing my panel. That's only my staging area. I hope to be able to test everything before Christmas

Thanks for your help again

I did find the answer for the push button.
The button board will accept 1 push button per tortoise, BUT, the button board needs to be programmed.

"Setting CV548 = 1 will cause each push-button connected via the ‘Button Board’ to ‘toggle’ the switch machine output, i.e. each press of one button will alternate the switch’s position. Thus only 8 push-buttons are needed; each is connected to an ‘N’ terminal, so less wires in the control panel. Setting CV548 = 0 disables it. (Factory default = 0)."
Super cool. I will add that info to my "dictionary" so I will know next time someone asks the question.

Back