N scale with Z scale Mixed

idiot

I am building a Z scale layout....I have the trains and track, but I am having a very difficult time finding Z scale structures. How "BAD" would substituting N scale items on a layout running Z scale trains? Thanks for all honest opinions.

If you use N gauge structures use them in the foreground it will act more of what is called a forced perspective.

What is IIRC and Nn3?
Where can you buy Nn3 structures?????

Structures are N scale. only the track gauge and rolling stock are smaller. Track uses Z scale, in the same way that HOn3 uses N scale trck.

OOPS! Sorrry...I didn't answer your other question: IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

Last edited:
Using N scale buildings on a Z scale layout will look pretty odd depending on the building. N is 1:160 and Z is 1:220, which is quite a difference. You'll end up with things like the front door of a house being as tall as a locomotive. Having said that, if you carefully choose your placement (off by itself and not too close to the trains or other buildings, maybe?) some buildings could work and not be too noticeable, especially if they're a building that's supposed to be small for N scale. For some structures like water towers etc. you could simply look for a smaller example in N scale and it would scale perfectly to a medium or large structure in Z. It's the doors, windows, stairs, and all that which will probably be most noticeably giant-sized.

I have been assembling N scale structures whilst away from home as a precursor to my planned N scale layout. Gotta do some train stuff even when on a short vacation ! My thoughts are that possibly siting N scale industrial structures away from running lines, ie in the foreground, particularly warehouse type structures, might give you some possibilities. But personnel doors the height of a Z scale loco sited close to trackside will probably stretch the bounds of credibility. An industrial curtain type roller door on the other hand might make the grade....
Have you considered card construction ? There are some download sites where you can order a structure on line and they will send the printed overlay sheets to be fixed to card (or possibly plasticard) and some of these leave the user to nominate the scale the sheets are to be printed. Might be worth investigating. www.scalescenes.com indicate that reducing N scale downloads to 67% will allow the sheets to print to Z scale.
Other downloadable building sheets will be able to be similarly downsized I think. You'll need new #11 knife blades to acheive very clean through cuts, and probably reduced weight card than the full size(N) buildings might call for.
Good luck - Z scale has great possibilities !

Using N scale buildings on a Z scale layout will look pretty odd depending on the building. N is 1:160 and Z is 1:220, which is quite a difference. You'll end up with things like the front door of a house being as tall as a locomotive. Having said that, if you carefully choose your placement (off by itself and not too close to the trains or other buildings, maybe?) some buildings could work and not be too noticeable, especially if they're a building that's supposed to be small for N scale. For some structures like water towers etc. you could simply look for a smaller example in N scale and it would scale perfectly to a medium or large structure in Z. It's the doors, windows, stairs, and all that which will probably be most noticeably giant-sized.

The structures don't match - just the track gauge with HOn3.

Did you try the link that I provided in post #9. While there is some garbage there, there are plenty of Z scale structures.

Back