N scale Shinkansen Depot - how ?

csxfan

Hi, I would like to build a huge permanent transparent shinkansen depot, to hold like for 20 - 30 trains on display, all covered from dust as much as possible, as I am sick of taking out and putting my trains back into their bookcases. I do not know how to do it electrically, I mean that the trains there stay while I run a couple of trains, analog, normally on the layout. How could I do this, stationing some while running others ? Do I need at least two powerpacks to handle this ? How do I separate these two "loops" ? And how do I connect them ? How do I insulate the many individual tracks ? Can it work ?Honestly, I have no idea.

Are you using Kato track? If so, I think have insulated track sections, and track sections with wires, to power the tracks. The two main way to control the trains are DC Cab control, or DCC. If you're using Atlas track, the blocks or sections of tracks, are separated electrically using insulated (plastic) rail joiners. You might google DCC and DC Cab control, for more info. Hope this helps.

You have said you want this to be an "analog" layout, meaning DC as opposed to DCC.

You need to create electrically isolated blocks where you can park each train. Wire the blocks through toggle switches so that each block can be connected to one cab (power pack) or the other cab or connected to neither. When you want to run a particular train, move the toggle switch for its block to one of your cabs.

The wiring for 20-30 separate blocks for the trains, plus the wiring to allow the selected trains to run through other parts of the layout will be rather complicated. It would be far easier to use DCC for this project. With DCC, all of the block control wiring and toggle switches would be eliminated. You would simply select the train you wish to run (by entering the loco's number into your DCC controller) and drive the train. All of the other trains would remain stationary.

The trade-offs are that the initial cost of the DCC system will be greater than the cost of two power packs, but the simplicity of wiring the layout will balance this to a considerable extent, especially if you value your time. You would likely be up and running more quickly with DCC.

Perform some Google searches for things like DC block wiring and model railroad cab control to learn about the wiring challenges involved in a DC (analog) layout with lots of trains.

Best of luck!

- Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know how to do it electrically, I mean that the trains there stay while I run a couple of trains, analog, normally on the layout. How could I do this, stationing some while running others ? Do I need at least two powerpacks to handle this ?
No all you need to do is put an on/off switch on each holding track. Run the train in, turn the power off.

How do I separate these two "loops" ? And how do I connect them ?
what two loops? Connect what to what?

How do I insulate the many individual tracks ?
Insulated rail joiners, gaps, insulated track sections.

Can it work ?
Of course it can, many people have power dead staging areas for their trains.

Back