N scale roundhouse gunderson husky stack cars

Anyone else have major problems with their Roundhouse Gunderson Husky Stack cars?

Seems like it is just one problem after another with these things.

- They derail all the time.
- They won't take turns or switches without derailing (mine are not sharp).
- The pins come out of the roller trucks all the time which causes the rollers to come off the car.
- The loads wobble in the cars all the time back and forth.
- The couplers don't stay attached to the next car and when you try to push them back together the coupler gets pushed upward and won't connect (see photos).

1bd3b5982cd962db80de5947df98c737.jpg

b7c99f2bcd84f2718afb4533157e5914.jpg

849a856e73537ee3b31558a1ecc28585.jpg

Just looking to see if anyone else is having the same issue with these cars and perhaps what tips you may have to make them roll and operate better.

Also looking to see what specific trucks/couplers to swap out with the rather than the default ones. Or is it just a waste of money on these roundhouse brand well cars?

Thanks in advance for any help, I had to step back from the layout tonight because I was so frustrated with these.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1, the trucks on these are not great.......that extends to the couplers. I don't switch mine, so I replaced the Rapido couplers with caboose hobbies unimate short shank couplers, which solved the coupler issues (although you now need to to hand couple the cars). Changing to a MT truck/coupler would be even better.,,,,sorry, I haven't done it so can't suggest which model. The cars are also extremely light......I sneezed once and blew 3 empty cars halfway across the layout. Adding some weight helps a lot in making them run better. I ended up with solid epoxy containers in mine , which actually takes them over the recommended weight, but it works. The pin is a specific Roundhouse, so there is no direct replacement. I used clear silicone to "glue" the pins in........they will still pull out, but don't fall out.

Thank you for the tips, I'll play around with them using your techniques and see what happens.

Glad it wasn't just mine, I know exactly what you mean about sneezing and blowing them across the room!

Thanks again
Steve

I did my first conversions tonight on the MDC roundhouse husky stack cars tonight following the steps in the above links.

Wow, what a difference, runs great on track, couples fine with the next one and doesn't derail on the curves because the default truck has limited turning radius.

fae19da3974072d6fe5d138040b309d5.jpg

15dc852ff450c7ac31f8674beebd967e.jpg

74f3aa2dc2dfa88c2db0e5328a78421e.jpg

151a45030ecc0a3a5eb9eaedd3e3a11c.jpg

Hope this helps others out there.

Steve

Back