N scale diesel wish list

Fishplate

We've seen some great new N scale diesels introduced in recent years: F-M road switchers; Alco RS1, C-628, C-630 and C-420; Baldwin VO-1000; EMD MP15, FP7, FP45 etc.; and now a GE 44-tonner. I was wondering what diesels are still on your wish list?

To start us off, here's my dream list. I'm not holding my breath for any of these!
  • Fairbanks-Morse 5-axle passenger C-Liner
  • Any Baldwin road switcher (DRS or AS series)
  • Center-cab transfer locomotive (either Baldwin or Lima-Hamilton)
  • GE 70-ton switcher

I would like a GE ES44AC and a BNSF dash 9. Also, I would like athern's SD70M with flat radiators, in UP's scheme without the flag.

I know I'm dredging up an old thread here, but I'd really like to see a new release of the EMD SD40-2 without dynamic brakes. One of the most popular locomotives of all time, yet, if you need the non-dynamic brake version, one of the least available in N scale. It's pretty hard to build a credible roster for certain roads (Missouri Pacific in my case) without them. I know Kato has released the non-dynamic version in the past, but as much as I like Kato, they do tend to have a fairly limited production schedule and road name selection.

They are coming from Intermountain...

That is great news! I had not seen that announcement, thanks very much for posting, Dave. Intermountain is pretty good about releasing a variety of road names, so I have some hope now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see any of the modern "green" locomotives in N-scale, whether it's the genset switchers, hybrid diesels, and most especially some of the genset ROAD locomotives that NS is running. Kinda doubt that's going to happen for a very long time if ever, though.

Well I wanted a Covered wagon to haul my CN (Canadian National) passenger train. So.................. I picked up a Kato F3 and painted to match my CN passenger cars. I thought about just painting it black and use a decal set. Instead (and a lot cheaper) I painted it to match the cars paint and added a faux CN lettering and loco numbers. The loco is mostly black satin with silver grills and the lower sides from cab ladder back is also a silver. It's NOT proto-typical but I like my scheme (so far) better than the bloody nose and white hash stripes.....almost ugly IMO. At least the cars and loco look like they go together. JD

I just noticed something............. One poster dreamed for a 5 axle loco. Never knew they made a real one lot alone a model of one. I went over to fleabay just to see what's new/there...and GUESS WHAT? ...................................................................... Yep there is a 5 axle Santa Fe (F? style). 2 axels in front and 3 axels in the back. Its listed as for PARTS and does not run, but handy RRer might be able to get er screaming. ............. Current price is $1 +$5.85 shipping. ............................. I expect something like this is very hard to find in any condition . ...................................................... JD

As for what should ATLAS, KATO and BACHMANN be next if done in N-SCALE? I would vote for any WHITCOMB locomotive from either ATLAS or KATO, I think we have had enough EMD F UNITS, GE’S-their U SERIES, DASH-7 DASH 8 andDASH9 Series and EMD SD and GP SERIES and the HERITAGE SERIES of locomotives .. Just my opinion here.

1- 5462 n-1.jpg 2- 62543_n.jpg

BCK RR

Good ol' C-liners

I just noticed something............. One poster dreamed for a 5 axle loco. Never knew they made a real one lot alone a model of one. I went over to fleabay just to see what's new/there...and GUESS WHAT? ...................................................................... Yep there is a 5 axle Santa Fe (F? style). 2 axels in front and 3 axels in the back. Its listed as for PARTS and does not run, but handy RRer might be able to get er screaming. ............. Current price is $1 +$5.85 shipping. ............................. I expect something like this is very hard to find in any condition . ...................................................... JD

Those old Atlas locos (C-liner, or C24-5, by the way) are really pretty much junk as far as trying to get them actually running. Trying to fix one would be fairly problematic. I suppose with some actual engineering and fabrication it's possible, but their drives aren't anything even remotely like newer locos. I got two sets (A-A, one powered and one dummy), and while the powered units did run, they were never what we would today consider "good-running" even new, and of course they're over 40 years old now.

What is extremely possible and makes for some good additions to the roster, though, is to do a little body work and make them look a bit better, then paint them up and stick a dummy unit in front of powered b-units. Makes for a very nice and quite unusual bit of motive power. While my CN paint job isn't quite perfectly prototypical, it is representative and the NYC unit is completely prototypically accurate. I'm sure there's some rivets out of place, but it's about as good as can be done with that body.

By the way, if you decide to do this, you have to do it with a dummy unit. The powered units can't be turned into dummies without the above-mentioned engineering & fabrication skills because the motor is what the front truck is attached to. No way to just take out the gears and make it free-wheeling like more modern locomotives.

mod.jpg

My N scale wish list would have some Alco C units (C415, C425, C636) and although the post said diesels, some Milwaukee Road electrics would be great...........but I'd be happy if the manufacturers would just paint some existing models into the the RR's I model. How about some SD40s and SD70ACe's in MRL, or SD40s or 45s in Milwaukee road, or some SP&S stuff.........the manufacturers could keep my wallet empty for quite a while with just some paint.

Those old Atlas locos (C-liner, or C24-5, by the way) are really pretty much junk as far as trying to get them actually running. Trying to fix one would be fairly problematic. I suppose with some actual engineering and fabrication it's possible, but their drives aren't anything even remotely like newer locos. I got two sets (A-A, one powered and one dummy), and while the powered units did run, they were never what we would today consider "good-running" even new, and of course they're over 40 years old now.

What is extremely possible and makes for some good additions to the roster, though, is to do a little body work and make them look a bit better, then paint them up and stick a dummy unit in front of powered b-units. Makes for a very nice and quite unusual bit of motive power. While my CN paint job isn't quite perfectly prototypical, it is representative and the NYC unit is completely prototypically accurate. I'm sure there's some rivets out of place, but it's about as good as can be done with that body.

By the way, if you decide to do this, you have to do it with a dummy unit. The powered units can't be turned into dummies without the above-mentioned engineering & fabrication skills because the motor is what the front truck is attached to. No way to just take out the gears and make it free-wheeling like more modern locomotives.

View attachment 45294
I think LL of CA-CANADA possibly now TRUE LINE and RAPIDO TRAINS has the FM C-LINERS I know that LIFELIKE, TRUNGLE EAGAN and V-LINE did FM's ERIE BUILTS in N-SCALE

BCK RR

I think LL of CA-CANADA possibly now TRUE LINE and RAPIDO TRAINS has the FM C-LINERS I know that LIFELIKE, TRUNGLE EAGAN and V-LINE did FM's ERIE BUILTS in N-SCALE

BCK RR

In N-scale? I've never seen any 5-axle C-Liners besides the Atlas. If you have more detailed info I'd appreciate it. I'm always looking for oddballs :)

It really would be nice if someone would do a modern, more detailed run of the C24-5 and/or the Erie Builts. A nice DCC-friendly with the added detail that modern manufacturing adds. Maybe someday.

Ironically, I did once have an Erie-built that I got as part of a collection, but decided I wanted the cash more than the locomotive. Sold it for almost $300, but kinda wish I'd held onto it, especially since the average price for the locos I bought in that collection was $10. Can you imagine? An Erie-built in N-scale for $10 and I let it go. Sometimes I have an attack of the stupids, and it's pretty certain I'm never going to luck into that kind of "didn't know what he had" deal again.

My N scale wish list consists of SDP 40s,SDP 45s (both versions) and any U boats not done yet.

Back