n scale Concor passenger car lighting

York614

Can the Kato KAT11212 kits be made to work in the Concor (N&W, Powhatan Arrow) streamlined cars ? Has anyone done this. What about the heavyweight cars (Concor)? If not, has anyone used a readily available kit to do this? Have 3 Class J's, enough cars for 2 Powhatan's (or a Cavalier) and a Pokey. Want to light some, need enough to make it worthwhile.
My work in progress:
Any help appreciated.
IMG_1430.JPG

Making the Kato light kit work in anything other than Kato equipment will be a challenge at best.
Depending on which cars ConCor used, they might be able to be lighted using kits for Rivarossi cars--IF the cars have Rivarossi trucks and wheels.
A possible better solution would be lights powered by watch-type batteries, such as Rapido's easy-peasy light kits.

Making the Kato light kit work in anything other than Kato equipment will be a challenge at best.
Depending on which cars ConCor used, they might be able to be lighted using kits for Rivarossi cars--IF the cars have Rivarossi trucks and wheels.
A possible better solution would be lights powered by watch-type batteries, such as Rapido's easy-peasy light kits.
Thanks, sir! Had no idea, but want to get some lighting capability in them. Are thw battery units the ones you can turn on and off with a magnet? Seems I saw something like that once, but can’t remember where or when.

Thanks, sir! Had no idea, but want to get some lighting capability in them. Are thw battery units the ones you can turn on and off with a magnet? Seems I saw something like that once, but can’t remember where or when.
Yes, check the link in post 3.

There are also these type of N scale passenger car lighting kits, which I'm sure you can get (or at least the components for) in the US.
1690753659336.png

There are also these type of N scale passenger car lighting kits, which I'm sure you can get (or at least the components for) in the US.
View attachment 172261
Does anyone know how those magnetic switches function? I purchased some but they do not have magnets attached, so they only operate momentarily when a magnet is applied. How do these switches (with the tiny magnets attached) function? Does it take a stronger magnetic field with the opposite polarity to overcome this, or...
Looked at these switches, but could not find a datasheet that explained how they functioned as opposed to the ones that I have(?)

They work with reed switches and a magnet. Pass the magnet over the reed switch one way, the lights come on. Go the other way, they go off.

They work with reed switches and a magnet. Pass the magnet over the reed switch one way, the lights come on. Go the other way, they go off.
Understood, but these seem to be latching, whereas the ones I have are strictly momentary, and lack whatever that is that is attached on the outside with that small band. What is that. And how does it affect the switch?

Understood, but these seem to be latching, whereas the ones I have are strictly momentary, and lack whatever that is that is attached on the outside with that small band. What is that. And how does it affect the switch?
It's as far as I know it's some type of weak magnet that keeps the reed in place till you move it with a stronger magnet.

Back