N Scale Big Boy Ikea Shelf Diorama

AemJaYstrains

Howdi Community

Here is my other Diorama i was building at the end of last year. This N Scale Diorama is on a Ikea floating shelf.
I wanted to build a Bridge Scene where the Big Boy is rolling over.
It was my first bigger build and it was to learn different techniques and styles. I think in the end it came out pretty nice :)
Its still not 100% done, but almost ;)

here some Pictures for you:

IMG_6522.JPGIMG_6762.JPGIMG_6764.jpgIMG_6766.jpg

If you like i can also share some progress pictures.

Cheers
jaY

Ok so here are some building shots.
i custom painted the bridge with my airbrush, and weathered it slightly.

IMG_5822.JPGIMG_5844.JPGIMG_5880.JPG

after the placement i started plastering the whole ground.
i was working with plaster, or the plasterband, later i also added sculptamold (we normaly dont have sculptamold in switzerland)

IMG_5928.JPGIMG_6004.JPEG

after adding some ground colors (woodland scenics) it was time to start with the riverbed and my first time ever with epoxi.
Well i have to say, epoxy is great for water features, but if there is a tiny little hole somewhere, it will find it haha. so after the 2nd try everything went smooth. after the epoxy was hard i also added some canoes and water ripples.

IMG_6457.JPGIMG_6521.JPGIMG_6559.jpg

the road was done by hand. the ground color at first i was not happy with so i painted it with some valleyo color. the lines where painted free hand with a pen. after that put some weathering powdr on it to make the street look "used" :)

IMG_6560.jpgIMG_6756.JPG

and now you know the whole story, and the endresult on top :)

well it was the first box that i got my hands on, the UP Cars where way back in the box. but i also have to say i really like how those New Haven cars look :) but iam with you, i guess not really prototypical :p
Well technically the McGinnis era started in 1954 when New Haven got brand new EP5 "Jets" in that paint scheme. Big Boys were still around for few years. It just seemed very unusual to see a whole row of those box cars coupled to it...but then again, most pictures from that era will be black and white, so we who never witnessed that era in person will also have certain perceptions about color. I'm not sure when did New Haven start the program of repainting box cars in McGinnis colors, and if that program even took place. One thing is for sure though, the earlier brown box cars with New York, New Haven and Hartford signature were common well into 1960s.

Last edited:
it is not cheap to life here yes, but its working out. it would definitly not be cheap to bring over a bigboy from the states. maybe one day i will win the lottery, then we can talk haha. i think i should have enought space in my garden to place it there 🤣

it is not cheap to life here yes, but its working out. it would definitly not be cheap to bring over a bigboy from the states. maybe one day i will win the lottery, then we can talk haha. i think i should have enought space in my garden to place it there 🤣
It's not that expensive, I've brought a few into the UK, just add up the cost of loco add postage, multiply that by the % import tax, its when you want a $15 item and the postage is $25 that annoys me.

Back