(N-Nn3) Playing Around With Dual Gauge.

NYO&W

I have one piece of Nn3 rolling stock that I wanted to display on my N scale layout so I fashioned a section of dual gauge track. I glued a spare rail to a section of N gauge track to do so.

Has anyone out there taken this concept further by creating an entire dual guage layout or branchline on a layout?

It's done commonly in HO but that's parlty because there are RTR and kit dual guage switches. Your solution of gluing in an extra rail will work fine for straight tracks and even curves if it's done correctly but switches would have to be a hand-laid affair. I'm sure it can be done but it's way beyond my old eyes and lousy skills. :)

We have it on our clubs layout in HO/HOn3. And its the East Broad Top which I had to double take when I saw your photo!! Nice boxcar!

And I am in the same boat as Jim. My eyes couldn't handle it in N. I have a rough time with just getting 3 rail jointers to line up in dual HOn3!

We have it on our clubs layout in HO/HOn3. And its the East Broad Top which I had to double take when I saw your photo!! Nice boxcar!

And I am in the same boat as Jim. My eyes couldn't handle it in N. I have a rough time with just getting 3 rail jointers to line up in dual HOn3!

Thanks, Trucula. I was wondering if anyone would notice the East Broad Top boxcar! That's one gem of a railroad.

I'm in the same boat as you and Jim with the bad eyesight. That's why I haven't progressed much beyond one track section. :D

I actually live across the field from the turn around "Y" of the E.B.T. Grew up there and rode my bike down and rode it 6 times a day...Great way to grow up! Am also a member of The Friends Of The E.B.T.

I actually live across the field from the turn around "Y" of the E.B.T. Grew up there and rode my bike down and rode it 6 times a day...Great way to grow up! Am also a member of The Friends Of The E.B.T.

You are "living the dream", Bob! :) I'd love to visit the EBT someday soon.

I just peeked at this thread and noticed the EBT car as well. Oh what used to be.

Other than a the dual gauge turnout, you could always run a line to a coal transfer like EBT had at Mt Union using the Z track and a turnout or two to simulate a yard for the hoppers.

As for the box cars at the transfer, one end of the track or one side of the platform could be EBT and the other PRR. No need for a dual gauge track.

But I'm sure you've figured that already. Lets me get my post count up.l

I just peeked at this thread and noticed the EBT car as well. Oh what used to be.

Other than a the dual gauge turnout, you could always run a line to a coal transfer like EBT had at Mt Union using the Z track and a turnout or two to simulate a yard for the hoppers.

As for the box cars at the transfer, one end of the track or one side of the platform could be EBT and the other PRR. No need for a dual gauge track.

But I'm sure you've figured that already. Lets me get my post count up.l

Thanks for the input, Blazeman!
I'm always looking for new things to try and this would be a good way to introduce a bit of narrow gauge to my layout in a way that makes sense. It would also be a good excuse to get more narrow gauge rolling stock! :D
Nick

Back