Mystery decoder

Rico

BN Modeller
Okay guys I’m at my wits end, well let’s face it I passed that long ago and am driving in the mud now, about what type of decoder this might be. It’s out of a DCC ready Atlas GP40-2 and I don’t recall if I bought it pre installed or if myself or a friend might have done so. Any ideas?
The issue is that I can’t program it from #3 or anything.

PXL_20240426_132550497.jpeg
PXL_20240426_132605319.jpeg

Thanx Mike, what took you so long to reply? 😝 (man that was fast!)
Yes I believe you’re correct thank you! The picture I found of an Esu looked totally different.
So… do I need an ESU programmer? Seems to be what the internet is telling me.

Last edited:
Okay, well apparently Lenz does make (or made) the decoders for Bachmann so that’s what I’ll go with.
Now what do I do with it? I think since I can’t program it I’ll use it as my temporary decoder when I’m working on converting a loco.
Thanx a bunch fellas!

Okay, well apparently Lenz does make (or made) the decoders for Bachmann so that’s what I’ll go with.
Now what do I do with it? I think since I can’t program it I’ll use it as my temporary decoder when I’m working on converting a loco.
Thanx a bunch fellas!
Won't it do a hard reset ? And have you checked the decoder isn't locked ?

Could be locked I suppose, never dealt with that before I’ll look it up.
No to the reset. 😞
I did find a box of old digitrax decoders with little black holes where the smoke managed to escape.

FYI, you don’t need ESU’s programmer to change CVS in their decoders. You do need it to change sound files. You are much braver than me if you attempt more than basic CV changes with just a throttle. JMRI makes it so much easier, there are over 1000 of them.

Ah, thanx Paul good to know!
I'm not sure how far I’m going to go with this yet, may just stay as a temporary decoder.

Coincidentally tho my Bachmann 45 ton loco decided today to only run in reverse. 🤔
Directional lighting works ok and a similar loco on that throttle works fine.
Loco in the middle…

There are little chips on the decoder, don't remember the name, diodes maybe, one for forward, one for reverse. You might only have one now.

I put an N scale NCE decoder in mine years ago. Just make sure it is well insulated from the frame halves.

Is the 25 tonner powered? What does it use for a motor?

Is the 25 tonner powered? What does it use for a motor?
Okay, guess I’ll have a look. I do have an N scale Digitrax decoder here somewhere.
Yes it has a power truck from an old Bachmann 44 tonner, dc only.

Last edited:

Back