My very first N-scale layout

duranta23

Hi! I am a beginner starting my very first model train layout. My wife just bought me the bachmann explorer set (N-scale) as an anniversary present. I am going with a small 2x4 layout due to the small space available in our small apartment. Since I have some Ez tracks with the set, I'm going with Ez tracks. The large radius on the turns has limited my options for a lot of tracks severely. After a fair amount of looking around and thinking I have settled for a simple 2x4 layout. I would like to share the layout with everyone and would really appreciate any kind of feedback/suggestions from all. Thanks!

neztrack2x4.jpg

looks good, im also building my 1st N Scale layout... I just didnt realize HOW much we can fit in a small space... I ended up with like 40ft total around the walls, just too much to cover for a noob like myself.. I have been working on it for weeks, and im not even in the testing pahse of my mainline lol.. I just bit off more than I could chew for the meentime..

I think you have a solid plan, if anything, I would change the track out for Kato, you will like it much more in the end, but nothing wrong with just starting with the EZ track for now :)

Get er done, lets see some pics!!

Looks good, the only problem I can see if you are running trains counter clockwise, you can back into industry 1 to unload but going into industry 2, you will be have the locomotive in first, really hard to unload! You might think about reversing one or the other.

Enjoy your new layout
Dean

Hi K0ncept. Thanks for the comments. 40 ft!! That's WOW!! Please share some pictures once you are in your testing phase. I'm sure it will be a thing to see!!! Best of luck on the project :)

Really! Good eye D Cody!! Thanks a lot for pointing out this! I would not have figured it out myself until it was too late. I will flip one of the industry accesses. Back to drawing to figure out which one :D. Thanks again!!

O! Sorry I forgot to respond to K0ncepts suggestion about tracks! I was actually thinking of UNI vs EZ track. I was thinking that using KATO will make it possible to make a longer tracks like a double oval due to its sharper angles. But after searching for a little while my idea is that KATO is much more expensive than EZtrack. That was the deciding factor for me in the end. :p

Really! Good eye D Cody!! Thanks a lot for pointing out this! I would not have figured it out myself until it was too late. I will flip one of the industry accesses. Back to drawing to figure out which one :D. Thanks again!!

No need to flip, you can just use the entire oval as a runaround. Makes things more interesting than having the spurs both in the same direction.

No need to flip, you can just use the entire oval as a runaround. Makes things more interesting than having the spurs both in the same direction.

It would lessen the impression of a simple oval though if that wasn't necessary.

Duranta, I would try taking out the second turnout on the larger spur and simply having two industries on one spur. You could use the third turnout for an interchange so that you can take the delivered cars off the interchange, switch the industries, then take the new cut back to the interchange.

also, how much track have you bought so far? Do you have just the oval, or have you invested in the Bachmann turnouts as well? I ask because the EX-track turnouts have a very rigid geometry. I would advise, if turnouts have yet to be bought, for you to buy Atlas switches instead simply because they will have a gentler curve.

So, I have a proposed revision of your posted track plan, if you entertain it.

In this plan, you still have an oval using the curves and most of the straights that came with the set on a 2x4 table. There is only one Bachmann turnout used, and that is for the interchange track, where a couple inches are cut off the long end. The red turnouts are Atlas code-80 pieces and the yellow sections are atlas code-80 flex track. They will require you lay your own roadbed for them, but it isn't hard.

Thanks a lot Tachikoma for the suggestion. It would be really great to get the interchange in the layout. I am a little worried about the EZ track - Atlas 80 mix though. Since I don't have any experience in this field, I am wondering if I would be able to connect the two of them properly. Can you give me link to any resource regarding the matching of these two types? Thanks!

Back