My Trunk line layout 4 x 8 2 boards

CSX474

This is my layout. I am having an electrical issue with the second half of it. the one that is in the second picture.

Attachments

• 100_0003.jpg
    100_0003.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 100_0004.jpg
    100_0004.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you give us an idea of what the electrical problems are? What do the trains do different on the second piece, that they don't do on the first?

Well, it all started on the first half, I was running from the first half into the second half, realizing that when I was crossing over, that there was no power getting to the second loop, except for straight into the bumper part of it, well I was connecting track, and realized that I did not turn the power pack off, and it shorted it all out, come to find out, now, I am not getting any from the turnout area of the first track, the picture with the pink board. I am able to make the loop around on the outside track, and then it stops half way around that is where the turnouts are, and then it just stops, until I push it past the turnout, then it will complete the loop all the way around. I do have plastic insulators in the area, it is layout of Book 6 and Book 9 of atlas called The Trunk Line 102. All I am trying to do for the moment, is extend it by added a full loop around the second board, with maybe a couple of sidings or another inner track as a yard area.

If you're only running one train at a time on DC, there are two things you can do. One is to add more feeders to the rails. The gaps, (the insulated joiners), are not allowing the power to get past them to the turnouts. The second thing is to remove the insulated joiners, replacing them with regular joiners. I would do this only if all turnouts are Atlas.

The best method would be adding more feeders, especially in the areas between the gaps. Just make sure that the polarity of the rails is observed so there won't be any shorts. Best way to add the feeders is to solder them to the side of the rail, and run them down under the layout thru holes drilled close to the rails.

I'm familiar with the Atlas Trunk Line plan, but not sure which plan you mean on the other side. I agree with Carey regarding adding more feders and making sure you don't mix up your polarity somewhere. You can also get some Atlas wired rail joiners if you're not good with a soldering iron. I'm always interested in seeing how people expand Atlas designs.

Back