My Thoughts about 3 HO Diesels

tdipaul

My new shelf layout is powered up I've so been running some of the engines on it

Bachmann GP7 w/ DCC/Sound.
This engine is a fantastic value. It has been the lead loco on the new track of a few layouts to find issues and it does great. The sound is similar to other much higher priced engines, its just lacking a few features. Slow speed control is good and its also very smooth. With this (and their RS3) I set the accel momentum CV almost to the max and it just lugs on the way up! The biggest sticking point is that the lighting is too yellow and not very bright. But for only $90 at Trainworld you cant beat it.

Atlas Master Gold C424
A good looking engine and like most Atlas' it runs very well. However the sound is only average for me though - there is lots of treble/"white noise" in it, even with overall volume set at to 60/128. Hate to say it but I think the Bachmann sounds better. Also, not long after this photo was taken the front light and number board started flickering. Maybe a CV reset will fix it, we'll see.

Bowser Executive Series Baldwin 4-4-1000
Easily the wins "top dog" of this trio. Great looks/details and amazing lighting. Excellent slow speed control that crawls smoothly at speed step 2 of 126! It also has the best sound quality of any engine Ive ever had (been a few). Clear, void of white noise and accurate. It lugs like no other. I think Im a Bowser guy now.

Last edited:
Thanx for the review!
Yes I love my Bowsers! (SD40-2 and SD40-2F)
I also have Atlas gold locos and agree the sound is not as good.
I have a couple Bachman units without sound but they sure have come a long way from what they used to be.

Just wondering what track you’re using and if you weathered it?

Atlas Code 83
Before ballasting, a light application of Krylon Camo Brown
Woodland Scenics Gray Blend, Medium ballast
After the ballasting alcohol/glue solution dried the tops of the ties were scrubbed with a wire brush
Vaccumed up the loose ballast
Then another light application Krylon Camo Brown

Your Atlas Alco might be trying to tell you it has dirty wheels. I have one of those same Alcos and it is a flawless runner.

If you think these are good, wait until you try ScaleTrains.
The wheels are clean. I was playing with the CV's when the flickering started so it was something I did. I reset the loco (CV8 to 8) and it has been fine ever since.

Thanks for the review. I have never had locomotives from those 3 manufacturers. I think the crummy sound might be helped by better speakers. Look at ScaleSoundSystems.com, they make everything sound better.

TomO

Back