My Strip mine project

I have been inquiring about strip mines and got the information I needed. Now I am going to put my new information to use on my layout. There is a place on my layout that I have been planning on making a coal mine. Originally it was going to be a shaft mine. Now it is going to be a strip mine I thought I would share the progress with all. Here are some photos of what it is now.

100_2716.jpg

100_2719.jpg

100_2717.jpg

This is under the main layout. I can go about 30" deep if I desire but probably 12" is more practical. The whole area is about 5' long which I will probably be used all of it. Now the fun begins. I you don't see anything for a while give me a push. Suggestions are welcome

I've always thought a stripmine would be cool, with the big machines and all.
Putting it under the layout sounds like a great way to use up space!
This part of your layout is alot like mine.

Now I model 1940s & 1950s generally speaking. With occasional slip into 60s with locomotives. So I will not be using the behemoth equipment seen in modern mines.

Well I have started not much but it is a start. I am in the process of getting heavy equipment for the project. Would like to find some job site trucks. This is where it is now.

100_2726.jpg

100_2724.jpg

This is an experimental / test piece The blue around the coal in the picture is painted gray in reality. I guess it needs heavier paint job

100_2723.jpg

Interesting idea indeed. Looks like a great way to fill up the space while also adding some operations.

In the first pic of the second set at the far end of the foam board is a post that supports the layout above. It is within 1 inch of the track. This is going to be a real challenge

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just notch it where the track runs? I doubt it would have a significant effect on the structural stability.

Well the post problem is solved. Here is a couple photos showing the problem.

100_2729.jpg

100_2728.jpg

Now the solution

100_2730.jpg

a 12" long piece of angle iron with some holes drilled in it screwed to the back of the post/leg that is in the way. Notice how it is positioned to allow removal of entire section giving me about 3" more space.

100_2732.jpg

100_2733.jpg

Now to start building a blue foam strip mine. I haven't found a market for little pieces of blue foam yet, but I am looking :D Now for some real progress. The first few pics are where most of the mining is going on now. The track is in an area that has been mined and the area behind the track is future mining.

100_2736.jpg

100_2737.jpg

100_2739.jpg

here is an over all shot. I am considering continuing it further to the left.

100_2740.jpg

here you can see the result of the surgery

100_2738.jpg

100_2736.jpg

OK here is an update I removed the track so I could do some painting but it will be back. I had to use trucks to keep production going.

100_2757.jpg

100_2756.jpg

100_2754.jpg

Attachments

• 100_2753.jpg
    100_2753.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
Les, one suggestion I'd make is to blend the track in with the coal. I've never been to a caol strip mine but have been to the Ely, Nevada area, when Kennecot was still moving ore by rail out of the pits. The tracks were buried right up to the railheads in overburden rock, since the cars were loaded on the move, and the job wasn't too neat. The cars also lost some of their load on the way up, so the tracks were basically submerged in the debris. I imagine a coal strip mine trackage would look about the same.

Thanks UP2CSX. I wasn't sure of how to do that so I Lightly ballasted it the put coal over it lightly. I will take another look and see if I need to add more coal. I am not to sure about up to the rail head though because of derailing

Back