My RhB, it begins

RailroadJeep

2711 & 2189 L-NWE8621
Well, after spending way too much of my summer working on the big trains, I decided that I better at least get something done before the weather gets bad. So, about a month ago I started putting boards together to start the portion of my layout that goes down the fence.

I had intended to work my around from where I come out of the garage....but. I'm hung up on building that big bridge. The bridge itself is done, I'm stuck on how I want to hinge it to raise up against the house. The first portion also involes alot of earth moving, and since I have fairly level back yard, bringing in many wheelbarrows full of dirt. Can't iron out a plan on how I want to build my mountain, layout of the water feature, and how the railroad's going to tie into it all.

So alas, I've given into doing the easier part first and give myself winter to ponder my other plans. Here's what I've accomplished so far, mind you, the track is removed right now to paint everything. Something only this section will have since I decided to ballast this portion and make cutouts in the boards to hold potted plants. Anyhow, here's what I've got.

1) looking at the tight corner on the fence where the RR swings around onto the approach to my main depot and goods yard

2) this is the long grade up to that corner, grade hovers right about 3.5% and levels out just before the curve

3) here's what I've done so far where it comes out of the garage. This really hasn't changed for oh, about 3 months, notice the grass...

4) here's a friend's layout, this is sort of the idea I'm going for with ballasting the portion of my layout on the benchwork. I think it help's to complete the scene, and fill's in the voids better then just painted wood would do.

Back