My Powder River Logging & Mining RR

I recently sign up on this web site. I find it to be very informative. Thought I'll try to submit a few shots around my layout. I model in 1:20.3. My Layout is in an 11'x18' room in the lower level of my home.

Very nice looking. I like that second pic with the engine in the shed.

Great work!!

Very nice layout, Doug. How did you decide on the scale? I don't think I've seen a layout in that scale before.

Thanks Jim

My decision to go with 1:20.3 scale was based on 2 things.
I've been involved in model railroading since the 60's. At that time it was "N" scale. In the years since my eye site has deteriorated and I now have 5 thumbs on each hand, if you know what I mean.
The larger scale makes all of tasks easier. It also gives me the opportunity to do some serious animation. I have kitbashed a MOW crane that operates with radio control. I can rotate the crane on its base and pick up logs and other items (as long as they're not too heavy). I've attached a photo. The crane is controlled with a 2 channel controller from a cheap R/C race car I bought at Wal Mart, I gutted the race car for its motors and controllers, the winch drum is from parts robbed from an old VCR.
The common name for this scale is "G". There are several versions of "G" scale, 1/32; 1/29; 1/24 and 1/20.3 are just a few. The track is 45mm, code 250 on my layout. 1/20.3 is the narrow guage scale for this track, in more recent days it is being refered to as "F" scale, depicting "Narrow guage".

Thanks, Doug, I knew that was a variant of G scale but one that's not often seen. I know what you mean about the five thumbs. :) I'd love to go to a larger scale if I had the room. That RC crane must look pretty neat when it's in operation.

Back