My next locomotive

Well, not having seen one in person, I have no idea if it's a really nice loco but it certainly is a BIG loco. What is your minumum curve radius? It better be pretty big also to keep this thing on the tracks.

Well, not having seen one in person, I have no idea if it's a really nice loco but it certainly is a BIG loco. What is your minumum curve radius? It better be pretty big also to keep this thing on the tracks.

I'm still building but min radius so far is 24" and I don't plan going smaller than that unless I have to. My UP Big Boy does good on 24" radius but I think I read that it will tollerate 18" but I may be wrong.

This looks like a realy nice loco and when it comes out in 2008 I think I will add to my collection.

http://www.mthhotrains.com/news.asp#

I suspect that MTH will put out a fine example of this engine. If it turns your crank, then let them know you want one, and look now for early-bird specials.

You should know that only a very few of these were made in real life, and that they were deemed to be failures. They couldn't keep enough fire going in the relatively small firebox to keep the boiler with enough steam to take advantage of all those connected drivers. A chief failing was that the cylinders on the tender vented out a rearward stack, and not forward to aid in the draft from the cylinder exhaust going up the main stack. So, the engine, as a design, didn't make the B-list.

Still, it would look awesome on a layout pulling a coal drag.

I suspect that MTH will put out a fine example of this engine. If it turns your crank, then let them know you want one, and look now for early-bird specials.

You should know that only a very few of these were made in real life, and that they were deemed to be failures. They couldn't keep enough fire going in the relatively small firebox to keep the boiler with enough steam to take advantage of all those connected drivers. A chief failing was that the cylinders on the tender vented out a rearward stack, and not forward to aid in the draft from the cylinder exhaust going up the main stack. So, the engine, as a design, didn't make the B-list.

Still, it would look awesome on a layout pulling a coal drag.

Yeah I read it didn't perform well at all but MTH model version won't reflect it's poor performance. It's such a neat looking model it's hard to resist.

I have the MTH K4, their first attempt at HO. I LOVE this loco, but I will admit the differences in DCC operation we're frustrating at first.

Back