My New Layout

I do have some ideas for adding more industries and sidings but I think I will get the track laid for what I have and then see what I actually have room for.I am moving to the new house on Dec.15th. and will have a lot to do before I get to start the layout probably sometime after the new year.In the mean time I will keep studying what I have and with help and suggestions from you guys will come up with a final plan.

Bits and pieces are where the magic lies, Lynn...

I'm actually thinking of some reconfigurations of my own layout based on my own response to the trackplan posted here. How's that for 'circular' logic...?

Bits and pieces are where the magic lies, Lynn...

I'm actually thinking of some reconfigurations of my own layout based on my own response to the trackplan posted here. How's that for 'circular' logic...?
Whatever works, we're a strange bunch:p

Johne I would suggest if you plan on adding more industries, that you make the industries fit to the terrain you will have and then run the rails to the industries, if you keep adding rails and try to then fit in industries you may cause yourself a very very large headache. At least if you first run a "single" mainline to give an idea what kind of continuous run you want ie going up going down bridges creeks rivers etc then you can draw in industries as per the elevations , the industries I would think would not be too close to mainlines which is why we run industry spurs off the mainline. Once you figure out the mainline and industry placement you can then fit in an added mainline. Just my thoughts.

I do have some ideas for adding more industries and sidings but I think I will get the track laid for what I have and then see what I actually have room for.I am moving to the new house on Dec.15th. and will have a lot to do before I get to start the layout probably sometime after the new year.In the mean time I will keep studying what I have and with help and suggestions from you guys will come up with a final plan.

I'm with Lynn. More industries (or at least, places where you know you can add more industries) is a good thing.

Johne I would suggest if you plan on adding more industries, that you make the industries fit to the terrain you will have and then run the rails to the industries, if you keep adding rails and try to then fit in industries you may cause yourself a very very large headache. At least if you first run a "single" mainline to give an idea what kind of continuous run you want ie going up going down bridges creeks rivers etc then you can draw in industries as per the elevations , the industries I would think would not be too close to mainlines which is why we run industry spurs off the mainline. Once you figure out the mainline and industry placement you can then fit in an added mainline. Just my thoughts.

You know I can picture and build an entire piece of furniture in my head and then just use a sketch to get dimensions correct.But for some reason I get a mental block when trying to do it with a track plan I really need to get the basic plan on the board and then figure out what to add or eliminate.

Its actually quite simple Johne, Once you know the size and type of benchwork you have, get some or if need be scotch tape several graph paper sheets together big enough so your comfy to draw on , draw your mainline far enough from the rear of layout and far in enough from edges. Once done start placing what you need.
I prefer to draw my plan out in xtracad for what I mentioned , export it and use potoshop (preferably ) and in a pinch paint program.
I think what alot of RR guys run into trouble with is trying to do the plan that will fit and then trying to force in industries and then running out of room for the scenery stuff. There I said it, don't shoot the messenger.:eek:

Its actually quite simple Johne, Once you know the size and type of benchwork you have, get some or if need be scotch tape several graph paper sheets together big enough so your comfy to draw on , draw your mainline far enough from the rear of layout and far in enough from edges. Once done start placing what you need.
I prefer to draw my plan out in xtracad for what I mentioned , export it and use potoshop (preferably ) and in a pinch paint program.
I think what alot of RR guys run into trouble with is trying to do the plan that will fit and then trying to force in industries and then running out of room for the scenery stuff. There I said it, don't shoot the messenger.:eek:

Sounds good I will try it.You cant shoot the messenger when they give you constructive help!

"...But for some reason I get a mental block when trying to do it with a track plan..."
John,

Don't feel bad, that is the same issue I have - I can more or less picture what I want but when it comes to making it happen, it goes hay wire. Locating industries and towns is a major issue for me as well.

What Lynn has said makes a lot of sense - design a main single line track plan then locate industries etc and build the rest of your track plan around those industries, towns etc. Positioning the track to suit the "scenery" seems a lot easier than doing it the other way round. It sort of "forces you" to run the track work in a specific way and takes away the options for a plan that (for both of us I think) causes head aches.

What I do know for sure is this - I am reviewing my track plan to see if I can make changes to it (now) that opens up more options but removes the problem of where to put what and how.

I do like your plan though and am pretty certain that you'll come up with something that works all the way round and does fit what you have designed.

I added a little more to the Layout.I am not sure if it is where I want it yet but it is moving in the right direction I think.

The%20L%203_zps3wggebmk.jpg

John,

Your certainly thinking about this and this looks even better than the original, well maybe not better just improved. I now WILL have to add another track/s to mine, some where, some how, some way - you have shown me that.

To be honest with you, when I saw your new design I felt a little annoyed at what I had done with similar space - your design blows mine out of the water and am I not ashamed to admit that. My design may have been the inspiration for what you now have, but what you now have is inspiring me to "improve" mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

I think your right - while we all have our own thoughts on things, often we will see things in someone else's layout that we hadn't thought of. Just glad there are no auto copy-rights on what we do :D

Some more changes/improvements.I think I like this the best so far.I am not really thrilled with the Coal Mine area so that may change.

TheLwithYards2_zps6p52fhjv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such an improvement over the first plan you posted. When do you expect to start construction?

This is such an improvement over the first plan you posted. When do you expect to start construction?

I am moving into our new home on 12/15 I am figuring with more important things like some renovation work and just getting settled I wont be starting until after the new year probably closer to Feb.Thanks for the compliment on the layout.

What a time of year to move. Good luck on the renovations. I ended up spending the entire summer working on remodeling projects. It was a lot of work, but the end results were worth it. Good luck with the projects.

What a time of year to move. Good luck on the renovations. I ended up spending the entire summer working on remodeling projects. It was a lot of work, but the end results were worth it. Good luck with the projects.

We were supposed to move in August but had problems with property lines with existing house when they built Condos next to me some no nothing that sits in an office put the wrong dimensions on the wrong side of the lines and God bless NYC it took till october to straighten everything out.

Back