My New Layout

The layout scenes are coming together nicely. I wish you luck on a quick sale and an ideal find for the new homestead.

Just to let you guys know I have been looking in once and awhile to see that everyone was behaving.A little update I dismantled the layout and packed it away we found a house and are going to contract in a few days.It is an older house but has everything we were looking for.Probably wont get in until August and I figure the cosmetic improvements should take a couple of months the good news is I have 12'X20" room all to my self in the basement that is all sheetrocked with ceramic tile floors as is the rest of the basement. So that room will be my train room also my fishing tackle room.So I will be adding to my train stuff slowly over the next few months.Well thats it for now.Will check in now and then as I am pretty busy getting ready for the move and finalizing the sale of the house I am in now.

Hey Johne, I was thinking about you and good news about the house. We moved into ours almost exactly a year ago and it was built in 1921. They really put some sturdy stuff together back then, I believe; quite a bit more substantial than the new construction in my book.

Good to hear from you!

Hey Johne, I was thinking about you and good news about the house. We moved into ours almost exactly a year ago and it was built in 1921. They really put some sturdy stuff together back then, I believe; quite a bit more substantial than the new construction in my book.

Good to hear from you!

Thank you lasm the house I am in now was built in 1900.The house I am buying was built in 1925and they were over built mostly because of the engineering practices and the availablity of materials back then I think if they built like that today not many of us would have our own homes.

I am probably atleast a year away from starting a new layout in the new house but I have been fooling aroundon scarm and came up with this as a prelimanary layout.

May22_zpsuypynpim.jpg

As some of you know I am in the middle of buying a new house just waiting to close on the old one so I can close on the new one.Anyway I have been planning a new layout not the one above that has been scrapped.The thing is I have all Kato track and turnouts but this layout dont want to work with kato curved track,I need the versatility of flex track but I really want to stay with Katos turnouts because of their simplicity in wireing and their dependability.So my question is will Katos turnouts mate up with Peco flex track my main concern is if roadbed under the Peco track will sit at the same height as the Kato turnouts.

Thanks in advance
John

Hi Johne, glad to get your update!! I don't see why you couldn't join these tracks, the same discussion came up a couple years ago on MRR forums: http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/11/t/214433.aspx

I used plywood roadbed in some cases and this may be available in the exact dimension. Or, using a table saw you could rip some lumber to the correct height. Apparently pre made roadbeds to not produce perfect alignment.

Thinking out loud you could make roadbed from foam as well to get the exact height. I understand the foam makes a loud surface, however.

Thanks LASM I think I will get a section of the Peco track put it together with the Kato turnouts and see what I can do with the roadbed.If nothing matches I am sure I can get cork and make my own if I have to.

I think for starters if you like the tracks going over the end of the yard you should move the yard to the left a bit, it will save you issues if you plan on elevating the curved rails move from the red lines to the green lines.

.The L_zpsth8vmxvp.jpg

Your right Lynn but that would put the last turnout on the left end on the curve or I would have to shorten the yard dont know that I want to do that.

I like it generally. What I see is 1 small yard, 1 siding and a two-track mainline with a crossover.

If it were me, one option I'd consider is making it more of a 'twice around' and adding another siding - both for more operational interest. Roundy-round tends to bore me after a while, and I like to have a longer run and a couple things to do along the way.

The attached plan isn't to scale or anything - just to give the idea. The numbers are "relative elevation" give that a difference of "2" will allow tracks to cross each other. For example, with me (HO scale, mainline-type operations), I'd say each "unit" would have to be 2" so that I can cross a 'level 0' and 'level 2' track with 4" variance...

Layout planning is highly personal, depends on scale, space, what you're modeling and what you like... So this is just my 2c.

layout idea.jpg

John,

I really like your plan - can I steal it??? :D

Seriously, I do like it for a few reasons keeping in mind I know nothing about actual railway operations etc. Firstly, it is very similar to my N Scale layout BUT, and this is the big thing for me, it is a busy looking layout with a lot of interest and options and variety, you have pretty much what I want with my N Scale.

From the looks of the track plan, you probably have a "deeper space" to play with. Where my bench work has to drop down to only 26" on the left, it looks like you have at least 36" for your track work and that is a huge bonus.

Great looking plan John and I just might have to re think some of my track work before I go any further!!

John,

I really like your plan - can I steal it??? :D

Seriously, I do like it for a few reasons keeping in mind I know nothing about actual railway operations etc. Firstly, it is very similar to my N Scale layout BUT, and this is the big thing for me, it is a busy looking layout with a lot of interest and options and variety, you have pretty much what I want with my N Scale.

From the looks of the track plan, you probably have a "deeper space" to play with. Where my bench work has to drop down to only 26" on the left, it looks like you have at least 36" for your track work and that is a huge bonus.

Great looking plan John and I just might have to re think some of my track work before I go any further!!

Tony your plan was the insperation to mine with a few changes, if you see any thing you like you are welcome to it.

You're most welcome.

FWIW, you could easily extend that extension off the #1 yard track to a turnout on the upper-left mainline and have a two-lead, two-ended yard (now that I look at it)...

In any case, glad if you find any ideas / value in it.

Kris

Some times bit and pieces of other ideas/plans put into one plan gives the best results. On my present layout I did the same.

Back