My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

Looks fabulous! Very neat job on the woodwork and very professional looking layout. My cats would have a wonderful time destroying all your hard work. :)

2009 Update on my Christmas layout

I started working on the layout for under the tree again, I had hoped on finishing it right after Christmas last year but it got put on the back burner and here I am in crunch mode trying to finish it before Thanksgiving.

I uncovered it the last weekend of October and got to work. I finished my water/small pond area was going for a frozen icy look and I think I did pretty good since this was my first time working with a water sceen I used Envirotex for my water. Then I replaced a section of flex track on the inside loop, I was not happy with the rail joints at the small bridge, there is now one whole piece of flex track across the inner bridge no more rail joints before or after. I painted the sides of all the rails "rail brown" which came out great, real subtle most people won’t even notice but it looks fantastic.
Then I ballasted the track with WS med. gray blend which came out great.
I was going to snow cover the ties/roadbed and just have the rails sticking out of the snow but changed my mind for easy cleaning cause the snow gets dirty between the rails easily and to make it more kid friendly.
After the ballast I made my rail road crossings out of balsa wood and get them installed and was able to get my buildings out of storage and on the layout to figure out my tree placement, I'll have to work on removing the trees from there plastic bases this weekend but the basic idea is there.
I finished up painting my rock sections last night and got everything that will not get snow on it all taped off.
This weekend it will start snowing, I'll post more pics after I am all done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent job so far. Your frozen stream looks like the real thing. I agree that covering all the track in snow is asking for problems but putting snow between the two tracks would help it look more like winter. Woodland Scenics has a nice product called Soft Flake Snow that's easy to work with. You can build up drifts between the tracks to make it look like they were cleared by a plow.

Excellent job so far. Your frozen stream looks like the real thing. I agree that covering all the track in snow is asking for problems but putting snow between the two tracks would help it look more like winter. Woodland Scenics has a nice product called Soft Flake Snow that's easy to work with. You can build up drifts between the tracks to make it look like they were cleared by a plow.

Thanks... I know about the snow they make. I have used it before, I plan to use it on the tracks a little and on the sides of the road as if they were cleared.

Here's some pics of another layout I did for my dad back in 2002 covered in snow.

Well the snow is done, I have the layout ready to bring it upstairs tonight.
Here are some pictures, not the best lighting with the large florescent light right above the layout in my work area. It will look much better under the tree, it’s hard to capture the twinkle effect with the camera of the glitter I used in the snow to get that glistening look you see with real snow. I may add some more snow to the tracks in the future but for now I am leaving it as is.

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

Looks like a perfect little Christmas villiage. If you add some snow between the double tracks like you have between the tracks by the covered bridge, I think you'll have it.

Oh wow! Very nice! I just went through the whole thread. I really like what you've done. Feels like Christmas already.

You've fulfilled one of my dreams. I have contemplated doing the same thing for years, but alas I have no where to store it and no tree of my own to place it under. I take up enough room with O and G (and until recently HO) around the tree. I always thought my Pioneer Zypher would look great on a snowy layout. Excellent Job. Looks very professional.

PS. Love the avatar. I used to have the same one, but it appears to have disappeared.

Very nice! I'm going to revamp my Christmas layout to use some of your innovative ideas! Excellent job!

This just makes me want to make a Christmas layout now. Very well done, I love it. I bet it looks even better in person.

Back