My New CB&CNS Help Wanted

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
I've been working on this new layout for some time now. The old layout is history and the bench work that could be salvaged is already part of the new layout. This is the third try, the first a 5 X 10 from a track plan failed because all I could do was watch 2 trains doing figure 8's, the second (in my signature didn't have continual running.
I got very interested in the "Heart Of Georgia" project for an around the wall layout because it seemed to have everything I wanted, lots of switching action on every wall and for just watching trains do their laps. I've procrastinated about this for a long time because the room I have is 22 1/2 by 15 1/2 feet and that would have left a large empty area in the center. Next problem was I wanted a walk in, no ducks or gates In fact the first break came when fast_ian posted this attachment in answer to someone else's question.

So with the room I have (and modified) I could do fast_ian's idea and get everything I wanted (I think?).
(1) Walk in (2) large minimum radius (3) Industries to service (4) Train watching for those kind of days
There will be a requirement for an access hatch in the loop on the North wall to access the out of reach rails and from what I envision the rest will be OK. (but I’ve been wrong before)
Dec., Jan, and Feb are expensive months to heat the basement rooms (electric heating, power near 17 cents per KW hr. during weekdays) and on weekends less than 7 cents per KW so work will be on the weekends.
Diagram

West View (Center Island

South West View

North East View

North East Loop

The layout will be DCC power. The bench work has the capability of 30” and 32” radii, the shape pretty well confines it to a point to point or folded loop which is the way I want to go for train watching.
The track work base structure will be 6 or more inches above the bench work and the route will be level. Terrain will be hills, valley etc. accomplished by scenes above, below and level with the track.
So at this time I have to develop a track plan and on that I’ll accept any help I can get.
Cheers
Willis

I take it that the top drawing is for the concept and the second drawing is your room.
Looks pretty good, The two ends a wide enough for loops. I'd make each a reversing loop (just need a reserving module and rail isolation) then its just a 'dog bone' folding around the room.
There should be plenty of space for industries.
One change in the second drawing I'd recommend. Chamfer the inside corners to allow a nice track radius.

Hey looks a lot like my new plans, complete with telepost and all!
I'm playing around with ideas right now, I'll be sure to share along the way.

What percentage of the time will you run point to point and how often will you want continuous run?

It makes a difference, if you follow me here:

To make that benchwork continuous running, you'll have the track double backing on itself often, unless you're comfortable using reversing loops during hands off continuous running. As you know, that will make some scenic challenges if you want the train to go through a scene only once. Not to mention take about twice as much track than if it was point to point.

If you will run continuously, say, only 10 -25% of the time, you could design the layout as a point to point, then use a dreaded lift in section for the few times you want to continuously run.

In other words, don't design the whole layout to accommodate 25% of the operation, which will also really compromise your scenes; design it to accommodate 75% of the operation and just live with having to drop in a section 25% of the time to run in a loop.

If its more like 50/50, then you've got a tougher decision.

Now that's a good point!
I was considering a "part time route" for just that reason. I have the occasional run night but mostly like running a train one way and ducking for cover while a second goes on its own.
The layout that is currently coming down had staging underneath which ran back around for continuous runs, now I'm thinking the new one might be similar but with visible scenicked staging, or a yard. Of course now we're talking two seperate levels.....

Thanks Rico.

Yes. I think sometimes when we think of a lift out or swing gate, we automatically think it is going to be in place the vast majority of the time, needing to always be removed whenever we enter or exit the layout. That may be unavoidable on some layouts. But if modeler's want a point to point layout, with only a part time continuous run, that drop in section will be out most of the time, creating a walk-in design mostly.

I don't have any insight to help the construction phase Willis but I envy you for having a layout underway. What are you going to use for motive power? Hopefully it includes plenty of MLW's:D

waltr
I take it that the top drawing is for the concept and the second drawing is your room.
Yes the top drawing is to give credit to our forum member fast_ian. It was his drawing and idea
Chamfer the inside corners to allow a nice track radius.
Definately, the ones I have not chamfered can be expanded in area. Take for instance the NW corner may have a six stall round house (from one of steinjr's drawings)

Rico
Hey looks a lot like my new plans, complete with telepost and all!
Those posts have been a pain in the A$$ since day 1, What's a fellow to do they hold up my bedroom and the computer room
I'm playing around with ideas right now, I'll be sure to share along the way.
As said all help welcome, I'll be doing all my planning here on this thread. This time it has to be right

I was considering a "part time route" for just that reason. I have the occasional run night but mostly like running a train one way and ducking for cover while a second goes on its own.
Holy sheite! I was thinking of running three or four. (maybe that's not a good idea either).

Doughless
In other words, don't design the whole layout to accommodate 25% of the operation, which will also really compromise your scenes; design it to accommodate 75% of the operation and just live with having to drop in a section 25% of the time to run in a loop.
Gotcha! Problem is that is the first thing I'll have to decide and stay firm on.
Being on a pension I'm kind of short of dough myself. Most rollingstock have plastic wheels and lack Kadee couplers, that has to change to be able to service industries without the 0-5-0. Before going too far I'll have to decide which I'll spend more time doing.
If its more like 50/50, then you've got a tougher decision.
It's a darn tough decision to decide what I really want to do. Without any doubt I like to build, create scenic areas and I doubt if there'll be any out of the box locos running.
I was considering a few staging tracks along the North wall, that area has to have an access hatch or hidden access hole. With that in mind it becomes a continous run type

One thing I'll try to incorporate is the mine and Power Plant, trackage connected for empties in and loads out, I had that started on the old layout it really adds interest but does take up a lot of real estate.
th_Mine.jpg

The Power house in the back was connected by rails loads in and empties out.

At this point I'm leaning towards a folded loop as I'll be operating alone. I feel this is a good start with some suggestions to give serious thought and consideration.
Cheers
Willis

I don't have any insight to help the construction phase Willis but I envy you for having a layout underway. What are you going to use for motive power? Hopefully it includes plenty of MLW's:D

GP's
http://cbcnsfan.webs.com/emdgps.htm
There could be a lot more added to this lot but these were the only ones painted for the CB&CNS
Alco 630's
http://cbcnsfan.webs.com/mlwc630ms.htm
May build some more, time permitting
Alco RS18's
http://cbcnsfan.webs.com/mlwrs18.htm

2 more under construction completion date ???
Thanks and if you think of anything don't hesitate to post.
Cheers
Willis

Nice looking fleet Willis:cool: I have 3627 & 3675 and a trio of Bowser C630M;s 2016 & 2032 factory painted and one in CN stripes to become 2028.

Hi Stephen, no progress very little spare time. I'll have to hunt up the original benchwork plan (it's to scale) then start on a track plan. I have some basic ideas and if they look OK on paper I'll post them for critique.
Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:

Back